Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. When installing bottom brackets, what do you recommend, grease or anti-seize, or is either acceptable? I currently have a tube of <a href="http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fortified-grease.htm">Finish Line Teflon Grease</a>, but i wanted to know if using anti-seize would be better, in which case i'm looking into getting the <a href="http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/ti-prep.htm">Finish Line Anti-Seize</a>.

Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
grease is good to use for the bb threads

except for ti frames, ti frames always use anti-seize in bb, headset, seatpost

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I've used grease in the past but more recently have switched to using teflon pipe wrap.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the finish line grease i currently have (teflon based)? Has anyone used it and can comment on it? Is it worth getting the finish line anti-seize?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
First off...it is not worth paying the premium of buying Finish Line Anti-Seize when you can go to your local auto parts store and buy the same stuff for a lot cheaper

That said, the grease is fine, but if you live and ride in environments that break down grease (either very wet or very hot and arid)...you should simply re-grease every 6-12 months (or if you start getting any creaking)

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have used all three (teflon-tape, grease, and anit-seize) when assembling bottom brackets.and the cheap tube of anti-seize purchased at an auto-zone goes a long way. I always use a torque wrench to set the BB cups, but have actually found the cups almost loose during disassembly in the past when using grease. Thats just one situation of this sort that I have run into, but it made me wonder. Most new bottom brackets come with a teflon tape type of coating on the cup threads from the factory, so I think that option is pretty sound as well.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
anti seize now but im gonna try teflon tape........

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
peternguyen said:
How many layers?
I put down two layers, each that slightly overlaps. You really don't need more layers than this, it just makes it harder to screw the cups in. Also, when using teflon tape, all threads involved should be clean, meaning grease-free.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok cool. So i take it then that teflon tape would be a better alternative to grease? If so, i will use this method.

A few question though, does teflon tape cause any difficulties upon removal? And i have also read that some people who use teflon tape also grease the internal threads (the threads inside the bb). What do you all think of this?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
peternguyen said:
Ok cool. So i take it then that teflon tape would be a better alternative to grease? If so, i will use this method.

A few question though, does teflon tape cause any difficulties upon removal? And i have also read that some people who use teflon tape also grease the internal threads (the threads inside the bb). What do you all think of this?

No, teflon tape comes off pretty easy, it more or less just peels off.

As I mentioned above, all threads should be clean when using pipe wrap, meaning no grease. Additionally you will need to mind the direction you apply the tape to ensure it doesn't unwrap when you screw in the cups.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts