Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a bike for $35 from a garage sale. It's just a basic Target bike, don't judge me.

I plan on making changes to it. For example, I want to put a new square tapered crankset on the bike. However, the bike had a one piece crankset before. What do I need to do to enable the bike to accept square tapered cranks?

This what is currently on the bike
Yellow Tape measure Measuring instrument Circle Tool
Yellow Metal Steel Iron Pipe

·
Registered
509 Posts
Did you knock bearing races out of the frame, or did they come off with the 1 piece crank?

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a cartridge style bottom bracket of any kind that will fit right up. The old style retainer bearing/spindle could be an option, but by your pictures, possibly not anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you knock bearing races out of the frame, or did they come off with the 1 piece crank?

I think you will be very hard pressed to find a cartridge style bottom bracket of any kind that will fit right up. The old style retainer bearing/spindle could be an option, but by your pictures, possibly not anymore.
I knocked them out myself, but I can press them back in. Where could I find the old style retainer bearing/spindle?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yep, that is the style you need.

Problem now will be the figuring the correct spindle length to give you a usable chain line. I would hope that a local bike shop could help you if the supplied one is not the correct length @ 130mm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.