Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im new to this forum but just thought id ask some of you guys if you have come across any problems with the x caliber 9 bottom bracket as i am having problems. Basically the left hand side thread of the bottom bracket keeps working itself loose and rubbing on my pedal arm thus causing the pedals to seize as it really gets tight. anybody else heard of this problem?? ignore the bash marks i had to loosen it somehow whilst out.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Pull the crank and check that the bearing is OK. Assuming it is OK then torque the BB properly and it should be OK.
In theory a seized bearing could wind the cup out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, as these dont seem very expensive i may be as well replacing it however no matter where i look i cannot find the model number or sizing for the bottom bracket. Do you have any idea where i can find this?

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Do you have the right tool for that cup? No offense but it looks like you're using a hammer and chisel to tighten it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Thanks, as these dont seem very expensive i may be as well replacing it however no matter where i look i cannot find the model number or sizing for the bottom bracket. Do you have any idea where i can find this?
Really? I see the model number in your pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, no offence taken i was using a hammer and screw driver as it locked up on me so needed a way to loosen it to get home however although it looks bashed i think internally it should still be fine. And i will be buying a correct tool for the job when i purchase the new one just not sure what model/ size to purchase

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really? I see the model number in your pics.
Haha, i do feel quite thick now. Can you tell im new to the mechanical side of biking, usually just pop it along to my mechanic but i wanna learn this stuff myself as i love tinkering. Thanks for pointing that out. (slightly red faced)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You can buy a replacement BB and the tool but I'd check the one you have before you replace it. It's probably fine and was just never torqued properly.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I've never actually seen it on a Bottom Bracket but have in many other places on bikes.. proper Torque should most likely hold it.. But I use Plumbers Tape on everything threaded on a bike now... works better than LockTite, holds, seals, works like Never Seize when you want to take it apart,.. costs under a buck.

Also, just a thought but even though YOU did the cup damage, I'd hit the shop you purchased from as they should have set it correctly in the 1st place and this never should have happened.. Bike is brand new and still under Warr...

then to top it off, there is something missing as the crank arm should have a spacer or something so just that can't happen as those look like Shimano cranks and the bearings are set by tension of the crank arm up against the bearing so it wouldn't be able to back out and hit the crank like that as the cranks arm should be tight to the bearing already..:skep:

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
If you were out on the trail and this happened, facing a long walk what would you do? Use the screwdriver in your multi tool and a rock or branch and tighten it by hitting it just like the Op did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!

well took my bike to my trusted mechanic last night and he sorted it for me (whilst i watched). Basically the bb was fooked barings were nackered so replaced it with a new nice green one :thumbsup: now feels super smooth, however he really wasnt sure why it was unwinding itself although he did mention that it could be the thread on the frame but im gunna see how the new one goes and if this comes loose i need the frame thread sorting out. Thanks for all you help :D

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you were out on the trail and this happened, facing a long walk what would you do? Use the screwdriver in your multi tool and a rock or branch and tighten it by hitting it just like the Op did.
I'd do the "long walk..." :idea:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts