Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Drunk Poster
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what options are out there to replace my stock FSA mega-exo bottom bracket that came with my K-Force crankset. My LBS said the Shimano XTR Hollowtech II BB's are not compatible and that I have to use an FSA mega-exo, yet some how I think that this isn't true.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
most external BB's are interchangable, Shimano,FSA, Race Face, Hope, and a few others. the only one I know is not compatible is Sram or Truvative, your FSA are 24mm ID on bith cups, Truvativ/SRAM are 24mm drive and I recall correctly 22mm nondrive

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,615 Posts
The stock bearings are just as good/bad as any other stock bearing set, just get another FSA. Unless you want to spend the extra dough on an exotic bearing of some sort.

BTW: Do you have a drain hole in your BB shell? I have never had to replace any of my external BB bearings, Shimano, FSA or otherwise.

JMH

jawndoe said:
I was wondering what options are out there to replace my stock FSA mega-exo bottom bracket that came with my K-Force crankset. My LBS said the Shimano XTR Hollowtech II BB's are not compatible and that I have to use an FSA mega-exo, yet some how I think that this isn't true.

·
Drunk Poster
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. I was thinking about getting a hope with ceramic bearings actually too.

JHM I have no clue what a drain hole in my bottom bracket shell would be... and I don't have to replace my BB, but I want to see if ceramic bearings are any better than stock stainless.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,615 Posts
I admit, I jumped to the conclusion that you were frustrated by short bearing life and drowning your bearings is the number one cause of BB death. If you ride in wet conditions or do more than the occasional stream crossing, drill a very small hole in the underside of your BB shell to allow water to escape. It's easy and it works.

If you are interested in ceramic, I can vouch for the FSA ceramic bearings since I have them on a few bikes and I have heard very good things about the Enduro units as well. Are they better than steel? Significantly. They are noticeably smoother and are more durable. Are they worth all that extra cash? Hmm... that's the 20k question. :D

JMH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.