Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I've got a problem with my BB getting loose after a few rides.
this results in annoying clicking noises coming from the BB.
The last time i tightened the BB I've cleaned the shell and the BB itself and put a nice amount of grease on the threads.
after only a few days of riding the bike to school (a 2 mile ride each way) the clicking noise returned.
How do i stop the BB from getting loose? would Teflon tape help?
this is the BB: Universal Cycles -- FSA BB7420 Alloy Cartridge Bottom Bracket

Thanks!:)

·
Workin for the weekend!
1,343 Posts
Teflon is a lube, it's only going to loosen over time, even more with all that slip...

Blue Loctite 243 thread locker is suitable for this kind of issue. Clean up all the lube from the threads and coat the shell and the BB cups and install. Torque as needed an let it cure for a few hours.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
"Teflon" plumbers tape is NOT a lube and will help. It's all I use on my bike anymore. It's made to fill the gap in threads and hold under pressure. I've had more than one bolt break free with locktite after just a few rides that plumbers tape is still holding this day.

Plumbers tape will shield against dissimilar materials (alum BB with steel frames)
Won't leave a crusty mess when you need to replace down the road
Fills ALL the threads gaps instead of trying to glue a small area

Just so ya know, "Teflon" is a brand name (owned by DuPont) that covers multiple technical material, not just lubricants.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
assuming its a BSA

If properly assembled and torqued the BB should not loosen. Have you ever had the BB faced and chased like you are supposed to with a new frame? The welds on the ISCG tabs on mine stuck out a bit and caused all kinds of loosening problems for me till i got the shell faced.

And then are you sure its the BB, crank bolts, chainring bolt, or even rear derailleurs can make a "click" under power.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
If properly assembled and torqued the BB should not loosen. Have you ever had the BB faced and chased like you are supposed to with a new frame? The welds on the ISCG tabs on mine stuck out a bit and caused all kinds of loosening problems for me till i got the shell faced.

And then are you sure its the BB, crank bolts, chainring bolt, or even rear derailleurs can make a "click" under power.
it's an internal BB not external cups.. no real need to face (though it probably is a good idea)
I've seen on more than one occasion where the frame threads are "loose" so even when torqued the BB can come loose... again, yes, Plumbers tape will help.. it's what it's designed for.

and ya, the clicking could be a LOT of things.. I've had pedals click, bad links in chains, burrs in cassettes and crank rings cause a click.. so check around. but if the BB is coming loose, clean it well, use P-tape .. make sure it doesn't wrinkle and try not to add more than 2 layers around (it'll just build up and bind, and strip off if too much)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.