Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The teeth on my bottom bracket cup are chewed from tightening the crank bolts too tight, resulting in cranks pressing in too much - my own stupidity from personal rage got the better of me. Attached is a photo pointing out the chewed part.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2m5yp8j.jpg

Question: bolts are now at appropriate torque. Can i still ride my bike without causing further damage to the teeth? Or should i (or the lbs) attempt to remove the BB now before it may be too late to unscrew it off.

this is a hollowtech 1, octlink v2 setup btw.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I can't imaging tightening the crank bolts enough for that to happen if the BB is the correct one in terms of spindle length and shell width. AFAIK, octalink arms will bottom on the end of of the spindle before that happens. If it's the correct BB and arms and that happened due to over tightening, I'd imagine the spline in the arm would be badly distorted. Something seems seriously out of wack to me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't imaging tightening the crank bolts enough for that to happen if the BB is the correct one in terms of spindle length and shell width. AFAIK, octalink arms will bottom on the end of of the spindle before that happens. If it's the correct BB and arms and that happened due to over tightening, I'd imagine the spline in the arm would be badly distorted. Something seems seriously out of wack to me.
the BB, crankset and all are stock.... i was in a seriously angry state and i took it out on my bike.. not one of my proudest moments.... the allen key i used was also heavy and long with alot of leverage... i pushed it down with alot of strength unconsciously....

for all i know the spine in the arm may be distorted.... i always find that the crankbolt on that side requires minimal effort to loosen with the allen key, compared to the other side.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could we get a picture of the arm?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
not sure if this is the photo you wanted, but it does show how the edge of the crank gradually narrows.. i believe it is this narrowed part that has partially damaged the teeth when i screwed the crank bolt too much. violently too much.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/nwx64k.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.