Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I took my bike on its 2nd ride this evening at a nearby open-space. It's nothing but dirt paths rutty descends and some overgrowth. Had some fun getting familiar with my bike. One thing I noticed as I was pedaling home on flat pavement was that there sounds to be a creak from my bottom bracket, it's only there when pedaling with some effort, the noise isn't there if I pedal lightly. Any ideas what this could be? I thought dirt might have gotten into the bearings but they're supposed be sealed aren't they? Could be from dirt on the chain? Your responses are appreciated

On a side note, I noticed that my rear wheel doesn't spin true either, I think adjusting the spokes should fix this though.

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
What bike? Press fit bottom brackets do creak and squeak every now and then. On my old bike, I swapped out the FSA press fit bottom bracket for a Shimano MT800 and had zero noises.

As for the wheel, yep you just need to adjust the spokes. If it's really off or you feel uncomfortable doing it, I'd recommend paying a shop $20 to true the wheel.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It could also be a loose pedal. I've had that happen before, where over time a pedal loosens up, and it sounds exactly as you're describing.

Bottom brackets can squeak, but since its only your second ride, I'd check the pedal first before you start ordering any replacement parts.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
99% of the time, when my bike squeaks, it's a dirty seatpost. Dust plus too much or too little grease on the post is a major culprit.

Not saying that creaky bottom brackets don't happen, but it's less common than you think. And it's especially rare for a bike so new.

·
jcd's best friend
3,411 Posts
99% of the time, when my bike squeaks, it's a dirty seatpost. Dust plus too much or too little grease on the post is a major culprit.
Speaking of seat posts...I've had this happen too but it was the lever style clamp rather than a bolt. A friend of mine taught me that one. I swapped out the lever style for a bolt style and I had zero noises.

·
Registered
17,526 Posts

Not saying that creaky bottom brackets don't happen, but it's less common than you think. And it's especially rare for a bike so new.
IME bb creaks are very common, could definitely be the seat post or seat post clamp too but that's easily checked by standing while pedaling and seeing if the noise is still there.

What type of bb/crankset is it?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
IME bb creaks are very common, could definitely be the seat post or seat post clamp too but that's easily checked by standing while pedaling and seeing if the noise is still there.

What type of bb/crankset is it?
Not saying bb creaks don't happen. Just that more often than not, creaks are not the bb, even when they "sound like" they are.

I was having cassette creaks recently on my new bike (about 160mi on it), fwiw.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi Oscillator, awsome that you're having fun on your bike!

If it's a new bike, why not ask the shop, or call customer service if it's a direct brand?

There's lots of good feedback here - creaks can come from many places, and press-fit bottom brackets are known for creaking. You're correct in saying that it should NOT be from dirt in the bearings of a new bike, nor should it be from dirt on the chain.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
It could be the BB, pressfit or not, but it's unlikely. I've owned 4 bikes with pressfit BB's and in all the instances of creaking, it's never been the BB. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I'd just look elsewhere first. Sure would help if you'd tell us something about your bike, though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It could be the BB, pressfit or not, but it's unlikely. I've owned 4 bikes with pressfit BB's and in all the instances of creaking, it's never been the BB. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, I'd just look elsewhere first. Sure would help if you'd tell us something about your bike, though.
MSU -- You have good luck with PFs!

I swapped my PF bb out with a threaded Wheels MFG just last month, after developing a case of the creaks again and deciding I finally wanted to fix the prob. And yep, it was the bb :)

·
Registered
17,526 Posts
Not saying bb creaks don't happen. Just that more often than not, creaks are not the bb, even when they "sound like" they are.

I was having cassette creaks recently on my new bike (about 160mi on it), fwiw.
My experience has been different. Creaks can come from anywhere, I agree with that and often ones that sound like they're coming from the bb are actually something else but years of tuning bikes and chasing down creaks and squeaks has proved to me that bb creaks are very common.

Also I'm including the crankset along with the bottom bracket. I get creaking noises coming from my bb periodically and so far it's always been the interface between the direct mount chainring and the crankarm.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
MSU -- You have good luck with PFs!

I swapped my PF bb out with a threaded Wheels MFG just last month, after developing a case of the creaks again and deciding I finally wanted to fix the prob. And yep, it was the bb :)
The Wheels Mfg threaded BB is a great product. I love it when a manufacturer steps up to the plate and produces something to fix a problem.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I get creaking noises coming from my bb periodically and so far it's always been the interface between the direct mount chainring and the crankarm.
I also have had noises in that area that were fixed by cleaning gunk out around the crank arm. That particular incident was on a threaded BB. Now I just regularly clean that area out as preventive maintenance. My most persistent experience ended up being an obscure section of cable that was rubbing against the frame....this, after removing a PF, cleaning it up and replacing it failed to solve the problem.....DOH!

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
...years of tuning bikes and chasing down creaks and squeaks has proved to me that bb creaks are very common.

Also I'm including the crankset along with the bottom bracket. I get creaking noises coming from my bb periodically and so far it's always been the interface between the direct mount chainring and the crankarm.
It sounds as though you've never actually gotten creaks due to the bottom bracket. The interface between the direct mount chainring and crank arm isn't part of the bottom bracket any more than creaking from a pedal would be.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Oscillator, like already mentioned, get with the shop you bought it from. A creak is one thing, but an out of true wheel on a new bike? :nono:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Lots of things can creak on a full suspension MTB but I will never own a press fit frame again. Most people don't seem to have any issues with them but I don't seem to be most people. LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
Every time I've taken apart a bottom bracket due to a creak it has turned out to be something else. I was just fighting this yesterday and it turned out to be my cinch mount chainring.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.