Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RaceFace Evolve FR bb is seized with less than 100 miles on it. The nearest Race Face dealer is 2 hours away and so far, no one has returned my email from Race Face. So I guess Im in the market for a new bb.

I am a clyde and its going on an 04 RM Flow. I plan to build the bike both as I break parts and I get better. Eventually I want to have it built as a freeride/dh hardtail. What would you recommend for the job?

Bottom line, where does the line for "overkill" on a bottom bracket lie, and is it worth t to go top of the line. Im running a RaceFace Evolve DH Crankset with 2 rings and a bash if it matters.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
605 Posts
that depends on you... there's a guy who comes into the bikeshop i work at who breaks an insane amount of bottom brackets.... he broke 2 high end race face BB's in 2 weeks, we than tried an FSA X-Drive crank/bottom bracket and he broke those in 3 days...... we took those back, and got him hooked up with Saints... the guy is about 230 pounds 6"5ish has never ridden a trail, does not ride street, it's for his commuting bike but somehow the punk mad destroys all BB's......

how high end of a bb you need depends on you, your bike, and your riding style either way there not "TO" expensive compared to other bike parts, ya midas well bite the bullet get yerself a nice high end raceface or truvativ BB and see how that works out. next time you need new cranks try an external cupp BB setup such as a Shimano Hone, or if yer into the hardcore DH/FR perhaps the Saints aswell, the BB bearings are able to be much larger in an external type, aswell as reducing the side leverage on the bearings, aswell as increase the rigidity of the crank setup with the solid axle.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
All ISIS bottom brackets die quickly, so don't waste your $$ on the expensive ones. My favorite is the one you have, Raceface Evolve FR. Make sure you have a drain hole in the bottom of your bottom bracket shell on your frame. If not, drill one or have your shop drill one. Otherwise nasty rusty gritty water sits in there and bathes your bb until it fails.

The new external bbs last longer, I'm getting about a year out of mine vs. 3-4 months for an ISIS. But you have to shell out the big $$ to get the cranks/bb (Raceface Diabolus and Atlas are my favorites).

G

·
Truvativ Giga pipe team DH...
I had my stock BB broken in the first week, and rode it till it couldnt ride anymore..
Bought a team DH and it lasted me all of last season and into this season, no play yet.
Hey, I am also using it with Race Face evolve DH cranks.... hehe

Go for it, its a great price if you can find it.. (it has 4 bearings instead of the regular 2)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.