Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, ive been looking for a lighter less travel do anything bike. There is no way i can afford a Nomad or that would be my first choice. I ride a 06 Faith 1 which i only got because i bought it for less than half the price and suped it up a bit for dh racing. it is for sale on pink bike and craigslist now.

So now im looking for a new bike. My second choice is the TBC Bottlerocket. I love the geo of the bike and the factory part spec is not to shabby(after I ad some 07 Van 36's). But the only thing I was wondering is if it would be good to use for everything but xc.

I live near a state park with 5000+ acres of great riding. But there is no lift. I need a bike that i can peddle up too. I also hope to do a few dh races this season. And I also live near a huge indoor bmx park w/ foam pit.

Bottom line is. Can I use the BR for all those different types of riding? Please suggest any other bikes within a 2500-3000$ range. thanks:)

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
It all depends on what you put on there. if your bike is +40lbs with an 8lb frame (not including shock) and you're trying to build a light-ish bike then that's only your fault... You shouldn't have any problem building it to 33-37lbs if you watch what you put on there. The BottleRocket is very nimble anyway and it feels lighter than it really is.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
According to the company themselves, the bottlerocket is a good match :thumbsup:

"The BottleRocket is built for the rider that can appreciate the new school style of freeriding. If you like to hit flowy freeride lines with big berms, gap jumps and wall rides then the BottleRocket is the perfect ticket. Sick of large travel freeride bikes sucking up all your energy riding up and down? The Bottlerocket excels at both trail riding and freeriding, not to mention the low slung frame with tight suspension is perfect for dirt jumping and destroying slopestyle parks. This could be the only bike you'll ever need."

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could slap a float 36 and rp23 and save live 2-3pounds right there. just one of my concerns is racing. like is it good at taking the rocky stuff?

some one on the weight thread said they got thiers to 36 but i dont think i could do that

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
My solution: get a Bottlerocket or an SX Trail for mountain biking.

Then get a cheap BMX for skatepark and to hone your skills because you won't be able to ride anything remotely cool with rear suspension.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey I'm jealous of your location. Way to go.
My BR is 37-38lbs. Could go down a few more pounds. But, it isn't neccesary IMO. I've built mine as a do all bike. I think you are heading in the right direction w/ the SX vs BR. My .02 is that at this level of bike it doesn't matter. One is not better than the other. The BR IMO does all things well (pedals,climbs,DHs) and some great (jump,corner). It is a super solid, fun, little bike to mess around on.
One last thing. Consider who you are buying from. TBC is a rider oriented company. Here is some TBC propoganda: "Our goal is not to become a huge corporate brand but rather a company the average rider can believe in. Our customers are our family and we have their back at all times." --- that view is tough to beat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
I rode a Bottlerocket today, and I had an SX Trail to demo for a week. The SX definately feels different. Livelier I think, even though it's got more travel. The Bottlerocket felt like a DJ bike that can DH, but the SX Trail feels like a DH bike that can jump and is very manuverable. I liked both but personally the SX Trail feels a bit better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.