Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking a little about a Transition Bottle Rocket as my next bike. I'm just wondering how people who've actually ridden one think it performs as a heavy duty trail bike, ie. how well does it climb, and how hard would it be to pedal around on all day? I've already got a total pig of an AM bike, so I'm up for some punishment on the climbs. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
I've never seen one but the geometry looks pretty good for AM. Very beefy.

·
ffwd
45 Posts
So many choices out there. Some other frames may offer more versitlity, but you wouldn't be disappointed with a BottleRocket. I use one clipped in for aggro trail riding then go to flats for bigger days. Its not light though, and you need to make sure the post will work for your height. I think climbing is as good as the rider. Its a sprinter, keep the power on and it will go up anything. If you want an AM bike that won't let you give excuses when the trail gets nasty or air time is invloved, then you'll be happy with this bike. If your pedaling all day without launching this thing off something you have the wrong bike.

As said above, the Preston or Covert would do really well also.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sriracha said:
or a covert?
Too steep. I like slack bikes.

The way I see it, it dosn't matter if I have two feet of exposed seatpost (exageration), or a longer seat tube and shorter post. What is relevant is that the seat is high enough for me to get full leg extension, and the combination of seatpost/ seat tube that gets it there dosn't really matter. Kinda like compact vs. traditional road bike geo, at least sort of.

The Preston might not be a bad choice, though I like that the BR has an extra 2" of stand over, and a little more travel. The geo is really very similar between the two. The Preston's CS are a whopping .05" longer, the HT is .5* steeper, wheelbase .1" longer, ST angle is the same, and the TT is .2" shorter on a large. I don't think the BR should be a significantly less capable climber. And if I can build one up in the mid 30# range, which seems reasonable, it'll be 2-4# lighter than what I'm riding right now. The biggest ride this bike will probably see will be under 30 miles. I've got ligher bikes for the real epics. I think it'll work fine. Anyone else want to weigh in?

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
The way I see it, it dosn't matter if I have two feet of exposed seatpost (exageration), or a longer seat tube and shorter post. What is relevant is that the seat is high enough for me to get full leg extension, and the combination of seatpost/ seat tube that gets it there dosn't really matter. Kinda like compact vs. traditional road bike geo, at least sort of.
I worry about too short of a seattube because the long lever arm of the seatpost puts a lot stress on it. I have seen broken seattubes from exactly that. Transitions seem to be built stronger than most though...

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.Danno. said:
I worry about too short of a seattube because the long lever arm of the seatpost puts a lot stress on it. I have seen broken seattubes from exactly that. Transitions seem to be built stronger than most though...
True. I only weigh 135# though, and I'll have 120mm of seatpost in the frame, with 290mm exposed, assuming that I run a 410mm Thompson. I think it'll be OK in that regard.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
i was told as long as the seat post goes past the toptube when inserted then there should be no issues with snapped frames or seat posts.

i think the br is a pretty neat bike and would be a good choice as it could handle more than one discipline.

my bike is roughly 35,37 ilbs and i have done 30 mile ish trips,for sure im not going to win any races but i dont care anyway.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,120 Posts
HAB - I'm thinking about a BR for the same purpose (with some light freeride as well). As mentioned above, the one main concern I see is the seat tube. I am also considering the Preston. I like the geometry on the BR more than the Preston. Both seem to be very versatile frames. I could see myself trying out the DJs and the park on occasion with either one. The ST is just killing me though. I do like the long epic rides on occasion and I like the climb up as well as the down. I wonder how well the ST would hold up with prolonged minimal seat post insertion. I'm 5'10" and wonder if the Large frame might solve the issue (since it has a longer ST).

On a side note - I would really like to ride one/both to see how they feel. Anyone in San Diego have a Preston or BR I could take for a spin?

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have clarified that the bike would be used for more than AM. I have no doubts about its capability as a light FR or slopestyle bike. I was merely trying to discuss the AM side of things in this thread.

I've ridden a Preston. It was a medium, and had a 50mm stem, so it was a bit short for my long arms, but it felt pretty good. It had a 66 on it, and felt a bit slack for DJs, but it was a great light FR bike. It felt good on small drops (biggest one avaliable for me to hit was about 3'), very stable in the air. It jumped fine, but wasn't spectacular. Pedaled very well (with a Romic, though being oversprung for me probably helped). It was built up very heavy, so it wasn't winning any races, though the low seat (I didn't move it, and the owner was a bunch shorter than me) and short cockpit didn't help, I'm sure. It's a nice bike. Just not quite what I want.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
For what it is worth... I have a large BR that I use for fr & xc. I am running a 410mm Thomson post, and at 6'2" w/ 34.5" inseam on the large frame, I am not concerned about seatpost insertion at max height one bit. Keep in mind the large has that extra "shark fin" connecting the TT to the ST. I just don't see any problems there.

With that being said, the only time I raise the seatpost is for long seated climbs, and it goes back down immediately for descents and jumps.

While it can be ridden anywhere, there are certainly days where it is "too much bike for the trail" and I am irritated by the weight. But, I built it up to be fun, not efficient, and that is what it is.

If I could afford a dedicated "trail/xc" bike with lighter parts, I'd probably get one.

If you are trying to build "one bike to do it all" you are going to have to compromise somewhere.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AW_ said:
For what it is worth... I have a large BR that I use for fr & xc. I am running a 410mm Thomson post, and at 6'2" w/ 34.5" inseam on the large frame, I am not concerned about seatpost insertion at max height one bit. Keep in mind the large has that extra "shark fin" connecting the TT to the ST. I just don't see any problems there.

With that being said, the only time I raise the seatpost is for long seated climbs, and it goes back down immediately for descents and jumps.

While it can be ridden anywhere, there are certainly days where it is "too much bike for the trail" and I am irritated by the weight. But, I built it up to be fun, not efficient, and that is what it is.

If I could afford a dedicated "trail/xc" bike with lighter parts, I'd probably get one.

If you are trying to build "one bike to do it all" you are going to have to compromise somewhere.
This is very helpful. Thanks. What shock are you using?

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
This is very helpful. Thanks. What shock are you using?
It came with a DHX Air. I am going to replace it soon with either a DHX Coil or the Van R.

Up front I have a 2006 66rc2x.

Personally, I do not like the DHX-A on this bike. It bottoms out much too often on drops / landing on stairs. I have the BO adjuster set all the way in, and a decent amount of pressure in the boost chamber, etc. For XC use it would be ok. I just prefer coil... I want "set and forget" on this bike. At this point, another pound of weight doesn't matter. That is what I am thinking anyways.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.