Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendations for bottle cages that hold bottles firmly. Have tried a couple of composite options without good results. Dont care about weight - just want the bottles to be there when I need them. Have always used specialized alloy mountain cages in the past and may go back to those.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Need recommendations for bottle cages that hold bottles firmly. Have tried a couple of composite options without good results. Dont care about weight - just want the bottles to be there when I need them. Have always used specialized alloy mountain cages in the past and may go back to those.
Cateye BC-100 bottle cages.
Cheap, light, (nearly) unbreakable, (almost) never drop a bottle, and do not mark the bottles.
I have been using them for ~25 years. Just had one break after 20+ years of use and it still held the bottle fine except in a crash.
Every other one is still going strong and have not lost a bottle regardless of the terrain or crashes.

You can find them on line for $6-8, and they weigh around 35g.
I do recommend using a large washer under the mounting bolt head to prevent pull through.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
choice of bottle cage also depends largely on your bike frame. With my medium sized 29er HT I can only run side load cages, otherwise max bottle size is too limited. I use Specialized Zee Cage. I have yet to lose a bottle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ive been using a specialized zee cage on my epic for the past couple years. Same as quax... *knock on wood* haven't lost a bottle yet

·
Registered
88 Posts
choice of bottle cage also depends largely on your bike frame. With my medium sized 29er HT I can only run side load cages, otherwise max bottle size is too limited. I use Specialized Zee Cage. I have yet to lose a bottle.
This ^^^👍👍👍. I am in the same boat and love these cages. I ride very rough terrain and have never lost a bottle, even in crashes!

Specialized Zee Cage Right Hand Loading

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
I swear by the Blackburn carbon ones, never lost a bottle out of it. I'm not really bothered about the fact it's carbon, but fact is it holds the bottle in place on the roughest of descents.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Z Cage all the way

... love these cages. I ride very rough terrain and have never lost a bottle, even in crashes!

Specialized Zee Cage Right Hand Loading
I got my first Z-Cage in response to getting my first full suspension bike with a stupidly small triangle. Fuggin' love them. Now that I've spent time with one the side removal feels normal. I think it's quicker than having to pull a bottle straight up out of a normal cage.

Only my fully has a z-cage, and I'm constantly trying to tug bottles out of the sides of cages on my other bikes. Ooh, just remembered the spare z-cage on my workbench--that's going to go on the singlespeed.

They really are pretty damn cool. Never ever had a bottle jump out of one. I don't know about their weight compared to like a King Cage, but since I don't really care about a quarter gram here and there I probably never will.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've got King's standard cages on all of my bikes. Don't lose bottles, but they are expensive. Look great on Ti bikes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
z cages on my gravel rig........regular cages wont let me get bottles in or out under my tangle bag.

salsa stainless cages on the fatty.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
And Cateye cause I'm a cheap Bastid and they work forever.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,235 Posts
I like standard aluminum cages (blackburn) because you can easily bend them mid-ride to hold the bottle tighter and can pull them out from the side angle easier. plastic/nylon ones aren't that great on either point

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I like standard aluminum cages (blackburn) because you can easily bend them mid-ride to hold the bottle tighter and can pull them out from the side angle easier. plastic/nylon ones aren't that great on either point
With the Cateye cages there is no need to ever get them to hold tighter, and they are flexible enough to allow easy bottle removal when you need it. They are unlike any other plastic or metal cage.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,235 Posts
With the Cateye cages there is no need to ever get them to hold tighter, and they are flexible enough to allow easy bottle removal when you need it. They are unlike any other plastic or metal cage.
so you can sort of sloppily yank bottles out semi-sideways and they don't jam ? last plastic ones I used were BS in that dept. will have to check them out...thanks

1 - 20 of 43 Posts