Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Masher
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typically I carry enough water in my Camelbak that I don't need any extra but if i do I just throw a couple bottles in the bag and this leaves two bottle cage mounts that go unused.

What else do people mount to their bottle cage mounts besides bottle cages?

·
Registered
268 Posts
First Aid Kit

I've seen (and should have bought) a First Aid Kid in the shape of a water bottle.

I guess you can make your own, with the things you need.

I was "way out" on a recent ride with a guy who was taking a blood thinner.

How I know this now, is he told me AFTER hitting a tree and splitting a finger wide open.

I'll spare any graphic details and just say I wish I had had a 1st aid kit...or at least a few bandaids!!

Tilos

·
Doctor
264 Posts
I took 2 old water bottles and made a tire repair kit. Contains a 1.5 tube (compact), a CO2 inflater and 4 cartridges, 2 tire "irons", peel-&-stick patches, 2 spare old SuperLinks (7 + 9 speed), and a small pair of glasses (I'm old). I wrap up the links and patches in a handkerchief.

Cut the bottom off the 1st bottle. Cut the top off the 2nd (just below the shoulder), and split the sides w/sharp knife. Pack the bottom, squeeze and insert into the top bottle. Fits in the cage mount and you don't have to deal with the narrow bottleneck. The tube & handkerchief keep it all from rattling.

I've been carrying & using this kit for about 5 years.

jeff

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have what I consider essential equipment in one of the water bottles I keep in one of my cages. I have the following items in my second water bottle:

- backup AAA batteries for my front and rear lights (kept in a small ziplock bag)
- a multi-tool for any adjustments that I may need to make during a ride
- a couple of tire levers to take the tire off of the rim in case I need to change a tube (I keep a spare tube folded and stuffed in the triangular opening above my rear fender)
- a few of gauzes (kept in a small ziplock bag) and a small roll of first aid tape
- a rag to wipe off a excess oil if I need to make on the spot adjustments during a ride

The key is to find a water bottle that has a mouth wide enough, which really isn't that hard to find. Or you can do what noodletips suggested and modify 2 seperate bottles.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
$70 for a bottle and cage. wow. I'm sure the carbon cage and shape makes you go faster. My LBS has a $5 cage and they'll throw in a bottle for free for regular customers. Seems like a regular bottle would work for a flat kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.