Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I am planning to put a bottle cage on the seat tube on my new Epic. I noticed that there is currently some kind of spacer, only on the top bolt. What's this for and do I need it?

View attachment 1252743

View attachment 1252744

Side question: Why the heck do my attached pictures display rotated? When I open them up on my computer, they are correct. How do I get them to rotate so they are in the correct orientation when posting?
My guess is that the lower bolt was design for a front derailleur. My friend has a 2018 Epic HT and his front dee is mounted to the lower bottle cage mount bolt.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
That doesn't explain the spacer on the upper bolt. Does your friend's Epic have the same spacer? Does he have a bottle cage on the seat tube?
I thought it was self-explanatory. The spacer on the upper bolt is to allow the rider to still be able to mount a bottle cage on top of the front dee's mount. No, he does not have a bottle cage ok his seat tube also it is available if he wishes to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
These bikes are designed as single chainring only. The spacer is to slightly angle the bottle cage so you can fit a larger bottle in the cage. I have a medium and can fit a 750ml Fly Elite bottle in there without the spacer. A standard Elite bottle like a Corsa is a little bit too tall. If I fitted the spacer the 750ml Corsa would fit

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These bikes are designed as single speed only. The spacer is to slightly angle the bottle cage so you can fit a larger bottle in the cage. I have a medium and can fit a 750ml Fly Elite bottle in there without the spacer. A standard Elite bottle like a Corsa is a little bit too tall. If I fitted the spacer the 750ml Corsa would fit
I think you mean 1x, but yes you are correct. I figured that out after mounting the cage without the spacer, but the suspension linkage then contacts the bottle when compressing. The spacer gives the bottle enough clearance when hitting the bottom of the suspension travel.
Blue Bicycle accessory Teal Aqua Turquoise

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am planning to put a bottle cage on the seat tube on my new Epic. I noticed that there is currently some kind of spacer, only on the top bolt. What's this for and do I need it?

Hi,

I have the same bike and also wondered that. It is mentioned in the user-manual tho' - its a spacer to angle the bottle cage slightly forward to help clear the suspension link when you're using a large bottle.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
These bikes are designed as single speed only. The spacer is to slightly angle the bottle cage so you can fit a larger bottle in the cage. I have a medium and can fit a 750ml Fly Elite bottle in there without the spacer. A standard Elite bottle like a Corsa is a little bit too tall. If I fitted the spacer the 750ml Corsa would fit
Yes, but the front dee on my friend's epic ht has it being mounted to the bottle cage bolt and what appears to be a clamp on the seat tube. I believe it's a new direct mount front dee design for (certain) frames that have been design for 1x to go 2x.
Seeing as OP owns an Epic FSR, that's what I'm going with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.