Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a xc race fork what is your opinion on the Bos Dizzy? Price aside what are the improvements over a highend offering such as SID rct3?

·
Registered
410 Posts
the most important thing is: It's a BOS, so it must be good...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Price aside what are the improvements over a highend offering such as SID rct3?
The damping, only forks fitted with the Avalanche cartridge match BOS for having a magic ability to both feel completely plush and at the same time use no more than the absolute minimum amount of travel needed.

However, whether that's worth the prolonged stress fest of dealing with BOS, who only ever answer the phone to tell you that they're on holiday or to say non to your warranty claim, is entirely a matter of your local backup and how many third party tuners will work on BOS. They're not especially complicated hardware to work on though, which is good.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I've had zero issues with my SIDs the past few years. Everything works flawlessly, adjustments actually make a noticeable difference, easy to set up, etc. And the price new online was great. Guess it's a case of "grass is always greener" or upgrade-itis not being worth it.

·
OriginalDonk
469 Posts
I think things are starting to change with BOS in the U.S. at least. The new distributor seems to have things figured out and it looks like there will be a few service centers. Art's Cyclery in San Luis Obispo, CA is selling a lot of BOS stuff and is on track to be their own service center. I picked up a Deville from them and will have them service it once the time comes. I guess time will tell whether the service centers/distributors have the small parts to deal with needs as they arise. Their open bath 160mm and up offerings have received rave reviews for years. I'm hoping somebody can provide a little feedback on the cartridge damper forks like the Dizzy or the Deville AM (140mm or 150mm).

·
just some guy
533 Posts
I think things are starting to change with BOS in the U.S. at least. The new distributor seems to have things figured out and it looks like there will be a few service centers. Art's Cyclery in San Luis Obispo, CA is selling a lot of BOS stuff and is on track to be their own service center.
I'm looking at a new fork for my 650b hardtail and the Dizzy is on the list for something to look at down the road, as well as the Magura TS8 120, DT Swiss OPM ODL 120, Marzocchi CR320 LCR Carbon... in the mood for something different I guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know this is an old topic but gotta say that I am super impressed with the Dizzys albeit the QR axle bolt that comes loose so will have to loctite that sometime soon.

Mine also soon require a lower leg service or fresh seals and oil.

I had Devilles 140mm hi/lows and they were nothing short of absolutely groundbreaking but had to split bike and sell.
Gutted!

I would recommend the dizzys in 100mm format only or 120mm if you're a light rider weight as they can tang a bit under hard stomping.

Wish they did them in 34mm flavour as they are undoubtedly for me and having tried all sorts of other offerings the best of the best.

Ohlins rxf 120mms are what I'd like to try but think a different lower bearing to what I use on my CK head set has to be used with them.
Plus they just look like tuned Pikes.

Never got on with RS having had 4 faulty from new sets of slightly older models.
plus their damping feels utter ****e.

So yes you really do get what you pay for with Bos.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the Fox Float 32 SC. Nearly a perfect 100mm xc race fork for my needs, and don't have to deal with BOS shoddy and questionable US distributor/customer service. $700 on sale, super light, excellent midstroke support and everything just plain works. Maybe it's changed, but like your experience with RS, once you get a bad taste in your mouth there's no changing anyone's mind.
I know this is an old topic but gotta say that I am super impressed with the Dizzys albeit the QR axle bolt that comes loose so will have to loctite that sometime soon.

Mine also soon require a lower leg service or fresh seals and oil.

I had Devilles 140mm hi/lows and they were nothing short of absolutely groundbreaking but had to split bike and sell.
Gutted!

I would recommend the dizzys in 100mm format only or 120mm if you're a light rider weight as they can tang a bit under hard stomping.

Wish they did them in 34mm flavour as they are undoubtedly for me and having tried all sorts of other offerings the best of the best.

Ohlins rxf 120mms are what I'd like to try but think a different lower bearing to what I use on my CK head set has to be used with them.
Plus they just look like tuned Pikes.

Never got on with RS having had 4 faulty from new sets of slightly older models.
plus their damping feels utter ****e.

So yes you really do get what you pay for with Bos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts