Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 3473 Posts

·
Fossil
437 Posts
Yes...and no. The axles on the Boris hub are a little too wide to fit the dropouts. Like I said in the post, I had to file a couple flat spots on the axle to get it to fit in the dropouts.
...but the fork's brake mount is set up for a front-spaced hub... is that right? You didn't have to machine the brake adaptor or anything, right?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Can you remove the tire rim foam?

My Boris started at about 37 pounds and is now hitting about 33. I've substituted the seatpost, seatpost clamp, saddle, handlebars, tires, and inner tubes.

I ran into another guy on a Boris on the trail. He said he'd removed the foam rim liner leaving just the thin rim-hole cover and saved close to another pound. No flats according to him. Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm a bit skeptical - especially with SL tubes. I think that foam helps keep the spoke nipples from poking into the tubes. But maybe someone else can give testimony. Anyone? Class? Beuller? Beuller?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I weighed mine in at 36.5 lbs a week ago with upgraded tires (BFL/Nate 120tpi both), saddle (heavier than stock), grips (Ouri), and taped front rim (failed attempt at tubeless). Since then I've swapped the brakes to BB7. This is on a Boris X5. Loving the bike so far, but thinking I might want a Bud front tire for the slick mud right now and looking at upgrading the fork, seatpost, stem and handlebar. Possibly also going to 10 speed.... I purchased the bike with all intentions of upgrading :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
My Boris started at about 37 pounds and is now hitting about 33. I've substituted the seatpost, seatpost clamp, saddle, handlebars, tires, and inner tubes.
Similar here. Started at 37 lbs, sitting around 34 lbs after swapping out my tires, tubes, seatpost, and saddle. It's heavy, but I figure hauling the extra weight around will just get me in better shape.

I still love this bike, by the way! So much fun in the snow.

Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel

Clothing Tire Wheel Sports equipment Mountain bike

·
Registered
495 Posts
That's interesting. So the rigid Boris and the Bluto Boris both weigh in at 37 pounds. I put mine on the scale - with pedals, my Large Boris with Bluto came in at 37.1 pounds. That rigid front fork must be heavy if it weighs close to the Bluto.

LOVE the bike -- great riding, tons of fun!

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
I think being around the 30 mark is ideal, for cost vs weight. Cause after that you're getting into the real money. A 175 dollar carbon fork is a good deal.. But do you find that it stiffens up the ride, compared to the steel fork? I think the steel would eat some of the vibration that the carbon would pass through to your grips, no? I've never owned carbon parts besides the rear of fs.
I noticed it rode stiffer on the first ride with the new fork, after that it just seems normal. With the cush of the big tires its no big deal. The weight savings and lazer sharp steering are worth the minor change in the ride quality.

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts

I ran into another guy on a Boris on the trail. He said he'd removed the foam rim liner leaving just the thin rim-hole cover and saved close to another pound. No flats according to him. Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm a bit skeptical - especially with SL tubes. I think that foam helps keep the spoke nipples from poking into the tubes. But maybe someone else can give testimony. Anyone? Class? Beuller? Beuller?
Yup those rubber strips over the red rim strip are close to a pound for the pair. I chucked those and wrapped the rim with a couple rounds of clear packing tape to protect the tube.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Inside the tire, there is the stock tube (0.9 lbs each, swapped w Q-Tubes [non-sl] which weighed 0.59 each).
Then there was a black rubber strip,
covering the red rim liner strip,
covering the spoke holes of the rim.

I removed the black rubber strip (0.28 lbs each - rotational weight) and only left the stock red strip (didn't weigh. Additional yellow strip included w bike weighed 0.31 lbs each). Nervous about running tubes inside with no additional rubber strip. Many successful rides since, no more worries about tubes puncturing through the red strip.

+1 for ditching over 1/2 pound rotational weight in the rubber rim strips.

1.5 hour ride on snow covered bike paths and attempts at snow covered trail riding. Tires good on snow and ice until deep snow or steep slippery patches. Bud and Nate on the way, carbon fork getting installed tomorrow, it'll be an entirely new bike in a few days.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Same here with rim liner removal and smaller q-tubes. I've put about 10 hours on this combo now, in snow, and today on icy hardback. Zero issues.

Btw, finally put my Kindshock dropper on yesterday, and it made my ride today so much better on the steeper downhill sections. Fun fun fun!

Freezing Snow Adventure Motorcycle Terrain

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't offer a verdict yet. I managed to get it put on just before dark and only had time to ride around the yard. It feels different. Stiffer definitely. I'll try to give it a good run tomorrow after work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is riding boris with the thudbuster lt? I also have their thudbuster neoprene cover but year of riding i found whole bunch of dirt/dust collected in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Boris Report

Got my Boris x7 21in a month ago it weighed in at 37+ lb.
So far i have changed the tiers to On-One Floater Fat Tyre, big improvement over stock self steer is gone and traction is night and day as well. Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

I'm really having a grate time riding this beast! after i got over my first cant breath moment do to my couch surfing smug grin is not leaving my face, cant explain it.
One thing i didn't expect is that i have to learn how to ride flats again :p but maybe the new flat pedals will help my incompetence!

while i was changing the tiers i also disposed of the large heavy rubber bands as a replacement i used this hurricane tape so far no problems, i dint weigh it nor do i have a scale to compere it to duct-tape but it feels lighter i stumbled on it by accident and i think some of you WW will really like it.
Bunker Hurricane Tape 48mm x 18m Roll - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

1241 - 1260 of 3473 Posts