Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 3473 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
take two

After cobbling together a fork mount for my X9, I'm ready to try my Camber 29er and X9 on the same trail today. It will be a short downhill then back uphill to the car so I can really compare bikes. My air gauge came in from Amazon.com, so there will be no guessing on the PSI, it will be at 9. Also, I'll have no need for that nice tailgate blanket :cool: Anyone in need of one ;)

fattyroof.jpg

fattymount1.jpg

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
My friend has a bikes direct bike with the stock stem and bars and no matter how tight I make it, it comes slightly loose every month or two. The bars too. Maybe cheap stems are made of softer metal that expands? I have a raceface that came loose that I know I torqued right and I bruised some ribs and broke my new fork on my fs.. And I know my torque wrench is right because I even tested it on a torque wrench calibrator.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Added some riser bars and grips.. I think I'm done for now. I also used zip ties and some rubber to attach a pump pump to the seat tube. I wish there were cage mounts there. Oh well not a big deal.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Heads up on rear wheel removal. The frame rapidly slims down back there, and removing the wheel causes the brake disc to hit or at least come very close to the inner left stay. I have scratched mine twice already.
I applied a clear protector to the inner stay after a quick paint touch up. Really have to hold it just right as it comes out. Going to place a rag there in the future if i remove the wheel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had same problem with stem thought I tightened it enough to ride when I put it together. But the first hill I came to on trail handle bars went one way and front tire went other way. had to give stem bolts another turn (on trail with park tool)to tighten scary felt like they were about to strip. Did not use torque wrench so I don.t know what the lbs value the stem bolt are at this time.
Yeah it as the stem clamp. Seems to be OK now I must of not tightened it enough before my first time out

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the BD Boris page under sizing they give effective TT and standover for the sizes... For the rest of the geometry I compared to the geometry of the KHS and 9zero7, which many on these forums have said are the same frame, sourced from the Ideal Corp. that's how I compared it to my existing Juliana and Tahoe.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
On the BD Boris page under sizing they give effective TT and standover for the sizes... For the rest of the geometry I compared to the geometry of the KHS and 9zero7, which many on these forums have said are the same frame, sourced from the Ideal Corp. that's how I compared it to my existing Juliana and Tahoe.
The KHS and Motobecane frames are the same, but the 907 frame has been changed for 2015 and will now be known as the "whiteout aluminum" it has different tubing than previous models, with a tapered head tube, clearance for bluto and new rear dropout.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm glad I held off on getting a fat bike. Sounds like a Bluto Boris will be here really quick for under $1,000.
Wondered about that myself as I don't think Bluto will fit in current Boris X lineup.

Saw on a Facebook post of Bikedirect a listing for Boris the Brut with a 190mm rear and bluto front. This would be the bike I want right now. Anyone know anything about this proposed upcoming model?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
So, I don't mind being the guinea pig for a new larger tire, but I'm having trouble deciding between the Vee Bulldozer and Snowshoe XLs - Bulldozer is about $15 cheaper on aebikes, looks like they will be just about the same size-wise. Primarily getting the tire for up front traction in the winter, should I lean to the Snowshoe for that reason? Will the rubber be better suited to the cold/snow?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Pxpaulx- pick your poison and looking forward to the results! I THINK they will just squeeze on the rear.

Sent from magic wish granting phone

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey all,Got the upgrade x9 rear derailleur for my X7. Unfortunately it was an X9 9 speed.
Mine had arrived with a stripped cable clamp screw, sram's design makes re-threading rough.
Emailed right away and now waiting to see if they have any 10 speed X9 rears available/
I still think service was fast, just a simple mistake.
Bike still rides like a dream. Picked up a large size triangle frame bag from Amazon: I have the 21 frame and this should look good:http://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle...1409680508&sr=8-1&keywords=triangle+frame+bag

81 - 100 of 3473 Posts