Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 3473 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well if this is the official Boris thread I hope the delete the other one I started, anyway I got my bike yesterday put it all together and that went flawlessly. Went on a tiny ride but nothing to bad. Today I did a real ride, 8 miles and can say WOW this thing can climb, right now I have 15psi in the front and rear tire and the paths were pretty dry except for some mud puddles that I normally avoid but felt inclined to drive right through the middle of them on this bike...lol

It takes some used to going from a full suspension bike to a full on rigid bike, my arms are still vibrating. I put new bars,grips and a fender which I found at REI for 15 bucks. Here is a picture after todays ride

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
your pressure is a bit high; at 18#, I wouldn't describe it as squish and your traction is likely to be quite compromised. i'd recommend dropping it to 12#- it will be a much different bike. A lot of guys go even lower than that, 8-9 psi for hardpack and as low as 4-5 in the snow. Next time you go out, bring a floor pump & a low pressure gauge and play around with pressures.
18# was a guesstimate. Since I don't have a presta gauge, I used the setting on my air compressor with the cheap shrader adaptors. I ordered a Topeak D2 pressure gauge so I will know exactly my pressure. I'll take it out this weekend and experiment with accurate/lower pressures.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That was a old polar jacket I found in the garage, in a pinch it worked LOL. I have a Yakima roof rack on one car and a Saris rack for the other. I searched all over town for a bolt that was 2" longer to use on my rack, but no one had a bolt, metric or SAE with the thread pitch that would work. The bolt/thread pitch is the same for my Saris and Yakima. Anyone know what size bolt it is?

As far a the warped rotor, BD shipped a new on out today. Kudos for great customer service.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have the first batch of Boris that came out. Had some rotor issues and had to use a spacer to stop the rubbing. I think the front fork in the Picts are not correct. I never expect perfection but damn that's a ways off!
I seem to be going to opposite direction of the rest of y'all! I keep adding weight to mine but figure it will remain the same throughout the year. I've added a frame bag, seat bag, tank bag, anything cages with OR insulated bags and have taken to bringing extra water on the forks to compensate for the smaller hydration bladder in the frame bag and it allows me to offer water to any pups I see along the trail. Amazing how many people (primarily hikers/runners) who don't bring water for their pups.
I've been able to get rid of the backpack which is awesome but am scared to weigh the bike as it sits.
Still have a stupid grin on my face everytime I ride it and haven't had any desire to jump back on the full squish.

Here's how it sits now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409195581.583762.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409195648.916615.jpg

Sent from magic wish granting phone

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the first batch of Boris that came out. Had some rotor issues and had to use a spacer to stop the rubbing. I think the front fork in the Picts are not correct. I never expect perfection but damn that's a ways off!
I seem to be going to opposite direction of the rest of y'all! I keep adding weight to mine but figure it will remain the same throughout the year. I've added a frame bag, seat bag, tank bag, anything cages with OR insulated bags and have taken to bringing extra water on the forks to compensate for the smaller hydration bladder in the frame bag and it allows me to offer water to any pups I see along the trail. Amazing how many people (primarily hikers/runners) who don't bring water for their pups.
I've been able to get rid of the backpack which is awesome but am scared to weigh the bike as it sits.
Still have a stupid grin on my face everytime I ride it and haven't had any desire to jump back on the full squish.

Here's how it sits now.

View attachment 919075 View attachment 919076

uh yeah, that looks AWESOME! where do you get those holders (are the insulated containers separate?) on the front forks? also, what size frame and what frame bag are you using?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ummmm there is also a Bikes Direct thread.
there are so many people receiving bikes soon from bikes direct it makes sense to have separate threads at least for the model lines. sml had created a boris thread already (which was probably better titled!) but it seems this is the thread that is sticking for the boris!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Holders are the salsa anything cages, insulated carriers are from off road research. (Come in 3 sizes, mine will each hold a 40oz sigg bottle)
Size is a medium and all packs are from jpaks in Colorado. Totally cool guy to work with! Custom frame pack, just sent a template and what accents I wanted to haul the water bladder in the frame pack and had to downsize from a 3L to a 2L bladder. (I'm a furry guy who sweats a lot so needs his H2O)
Seat pak is as compressed as it gets and gets huge!!
http://www.jpaks.com

I'm running 10'ish in the rear and 8'ish in the front all summer and for me a hefty 215# it works great.

Frame pak holds the water bladder, multitool, light and battery for helmet, pump, tire levers, gloves, tape..... May be some other stuff as well. I put the spare tube in the seat pak to make a little room. Snak pak has all my snacks, wallet, iphone & keys. Yes I haul a lot of crap because well, can't depend on others to have what I need if I break down!

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
Pardon me for missing a post but did you modify the handlebars and stem? The 100mm default stem they ship seems too long for my 5'9 height. Also were the brakes and gears pretty dialed in out of the box?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Pardon me for missing a post but did you modify the handlebars and stem? The 100mm default stem they ship seems too long for my 5'9 height. Also were the brakes and gears pretty dialed in out of the box?
No and No. Is the short answer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Amazin1, pull your front wheel off and check the dropouts on the inside where the axle ends rest. Make sure you don't have a glop of dried paint up in there, as that could easily cause your problem. I'd clean out the drops with a very fine file or some sandpaper. If they are clean you could definitely have a bad fork.
Good news and bad news...Good news is BD is sending me a new fork, bad news is I have to figure out how to replace the bad one. Oh well, I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks BD for responding quickly to my email and making good on a bad fork.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello,
Here are some pics of the 21 Boris x7. Nice fork. Only one tiny scratch where the rear quick release was locked and was hitting the frame.
On the x7 rear derailleur the cable lock screw was almost stripped. Will contact service about that.
Otherwise, very happy and love the color,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
20140828_221134.jpg

mine arrived today! unfortunately my workstand did not, thx amazon prime for letting me down the one time i really needed it!

brassos, nice changes to the bike, almost the exact changes i want to make really soon. i like the raceface bashguard in particular. what is involved with installing it and which specific size do you recommend? thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The race face was a 32t 104 bcd. Pain in the neck actually. The Flat areas on the crank arms are cast not machined. So it doesn't ley the bash guard ride square to the gear. They are tight however, so i think safe. And by not square i mean less than 1/16 off on one arm.
I think i can carefully use a dremel tool or small hand file and fix the rise on the arm.
Clark's orange cables will just replace to ones already installed with nothing to spare in length.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The race face was a 32t 104 bcd. Pain in the neck actually. The Flat areas on the crank arms are cast not machined. So it doesn't ley the bash guard ride square to the gear. They are tight however, so i think safe. And by not square i mean less than 1/16 off on one arm.
I think i can carefully use a dremel tool or small hand file and fix the rise on the arm.
Clark's orange cables will just replace to ones already installed with nothing to spare in length.
thanks for the info, maybe something i'd better have a shop install if i end up wanting one. is that the husselfelt 40mm? i was looking at that too, will wait for a ride to decide whether i want to swap the bar out too. i'm fine with the black cables myself, probably going to add a frame bag that will mostly hide them anyway.

truthfully, i originally ordered black, then emailed bd to ask for orange if they ended up with extra 17 inch stock. the day before they came in i asked to keep my original order and they emailed that would be fine....guess the last memo didnt make it to the warehouse in time! the only reason i wanted black was to add green floaters come winter time, i will just have to stick with black tires i guess...well, maybe not, we shall see haha. have to say though i am not at all disappointed in the orange, it is very deep shade with a nice fleck finish, pretty sharp looking!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I reversed the tread direction up front, which seems to improve cornering (although this could be purely placebo on my part).
And snow traction. I thought maybe placebo, but my LBS wouldn't have reversed the treads on their rental Kona Wo fleet on just my say-so.

21 - 40 of 3473 Posts