Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3473 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Boris X9 in this morning. Box was intact and all parts accounted for. Assembled the bike with a couple issues. The front derailleur cable was routed on the left side of the steer tube, should have been on the right. Not a big deal, I'll re-route it went the weather sucks and I can't ride. It appears the front rotor is slightly warped. I'll email BD regarding the rotor. Pictures to follow, I got to get it on the trail first!! Overall, very pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I took it on the trail and talk about a different feeling. Tires were inflated to approx 18#. Now I see why they call it squishy and they float. I'm not too sure I like it on the dry trails. It didn't seem as responsive as my Camber 29er. Climbs ok on the loose stuff, but I do miss my suspension on the flats and going down hill. Now the snow will be a different story. That's why I bought the fatty in the first place.

The second picture shows the front derailleur cable routed on the left side of the steer tube. Does Yakima sell a longer bolt for their fork mounted roof bike carriers?

fatty1.jpg

fatty3.jpg

fatty2.jpg

·
Registered
56 Posts

Got my Boris today and had the same cable routing issue and warped front rotor. Minor issues in my mind. Went for an 18 mile ride the bike feels good. This is my first fat bike and the steering feels very foreign but I'm slowly getting used to it. The paint on the bike looks much better than I thought it would. I'm 6ft tall with a 33inch inseam and the large fits me like a glove. Overall very happy with the bike so far!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I recognize the area. I'm in GF too. Let me know if you want too go riding sometime. I ride on lunch break and on Saturdays.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recognize the area. I'm in GF too. Let me know if you want too go riding sometime. I ride on lunch break and on Saturdays.
Sounds good! I'm not the fastest in the crowd, probably more like the turtle. I bike for health, not for speed :) PM me your contact info..

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I took it on the trail and talk about a different feeling. Tires were inflated to approx 18#. I'm not too sure I like it on the dry trails. It didn't seem as responsive as my Camber 29er. Climbs ok on the loose stuff, but I do miss my suspension on the flats and going down hill.
18# is road pressure for big Clydes. Drop 8-10# and give it a go again.
It was never going to be nimble like your Camber.
Fat tires are not a substitution for actual tuned suspension. Lowering your tire pressure will help and there are a few fork options out there.
:)

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
I took it on the trail and talk about a different feeling. Tires were inflated to approx 18#. Now I see why they call it squishy and they float. I'm not too sure I like it on the dry trails. It didn't seem as responsive as my Camber 29er. Climbs ok on the loose stuff, but I do miss my suspension on the flats and going down hill. Now the snow will be a different story. That's why I bought the fatty in the first place.

The second picture shows the front derailleur cable routed on the left side of the steer tube. Does Yakima sell a longer bolt for their fork mounted roof bike carriers?
your pressure is a bit high; at 18#, I wouldn't describe it as squish and your traction is likely to be quite compromised. i'd recommend dropping it to 12#- it will be a much different bike. A lot of guys go even lower than that, 8-9 psi for hardpack and as low as 4-5 in the snow. Next time you go out, bring a floor pump & a low pressure gauge and play around with pressures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Guys and Girls, this is my first post so I hope it goes well. I received my Boris X9 yesterday and put it together. I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the front forks being bent? I had to pull the forks apart to get the front wheel in, and it wasn't easy. Now the front wheel is off set to one side. I also had the same issue with the cables but I'm wondring if that is how they wanted it? Love the bike and hope I can get BD to figure out the fork problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Guys and Girls, this is my first post so I hope it goes well. I received my Boris X9 yesterday and put it together. I'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the front forks being bent? I had to pull the forks apart to get the front wheel in, and it wasn't easy. Now the front wheel is off set to one side. I also had the same issue with the cables but I'm wondring if that is how they wanted it? Love the bike and hope I can get BD to figure out the fork problem.
I haven't received my bike yet, but looking at the bikes direct website it is possible the forks are tapered based on this image of theirs:

IMG_7791.jpg

However, I would think it would have an even taper and not look bent to one side or the other. Some pics would help (plus, we want to see all the new bikes around!).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can you tell me more about that tailgate pad?
That looks amazing!
Assuming you're talking about hanging the bike over the back...and not being sarcastic about the blanket, hahaha....

Thule, Yakima and several other companies all make tailgate pads, you can find them on amazon (...but not warehouse deals since I just bought the yakima there!). The prices have come down since I looked last (they were all over $100 a few months ago), maybe an end of season thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since this is a Boris thread, I thought I'd offer my comments.

I have the first generation Boris X9 (with the sliding dropouts). I've been riding singletrack with it this summer. The trails are typically hard-packed dirt or sandy gravel, with an assortment of roots, rocks, stumps and jumps to keep things interesting. I've had pretty good luck with the Mission tires in these conditions. I run 10.5 lbs in the back and 8.5 lbs up front, and I weigh about 185 lbs. I reversed the tread direction up front, which seems to improve cornering (although this could be purely placebo on my part).

The bike is as nimble as my old 26" single-speed hardtail with an 80mm travel fork. On the fat bike, I can clean rock gardens that have stymied me with the 26er, and I haven't noticed any extra effort on the climbs, which tend to be short but brutally steep.

My bike weighed in at just under 36 lbs with platform pedals. I recently eliminated the front derailleur, shifter, and double chainrings in favor of a 32t RaceFace N/W chainring, so I imagine it weighs a bit less now.

1 - 20 of 3473 Posts