Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so there are threads about the most blinged out bikes. This one is for the most boring, just not interesting bikes there is, god forbid there is such a thing. No bike is boring to me, just to make that clear, but which are the most boring to ride, or in color, or design? I think mine, when its built up, will take the cake, so who thinks their's is the most boring.

Tim,
BTW these bikes can be the best ones on the planet, as long as they're boring:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
SC Blur Boooooring

I see tons and tons of these things all over the place in these parts. N. Cali that is. I don't understand.. custom colors big whoop, overpriced YES, external bushings waiting to be damaged Yes, tons of maintence issues from what I've heard,,No thanks, single pivot ...I prefer the horst link..etc. I'm not trying to start anything here I'm just not feeling the hype.

·
Grip it and rip it.
1,219 Posts
Lol this is a pretty funny thread. The iron horse sunday i thought looked soooo boring and i felt sorry for sam hill for having such a bad looking bike, that was before he started winning. I see waaay to many specialized stumpjumpers, bore me to death.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Boring Bike

Thats a great thread. Y'know honestly, and seriously think about it, the biggest problem I think ALL the bike manufacturers have today is color. My wife as example, does triathlons, mountain bikes with me, runs, swims, does it all. Whenever I bring her to a lbs to "shop around" you know what she always says, "I dont like the color of that bike." Or, that bike is just ugly." The bike could be specked out with all the bells and whistles but y'know what, shes right to a point. Other than Santa Cruz and I'm not sure you can still do this, but they used to allow you to go on they're website and pick and choose the color of your ride. Sick. You could mix and match the frame, the swingarm, the components. Thats half the battle.

Yeah I know, most if not all of us here are all about the components or the ride that just feels right to us. Imagine if ALL the bike cos. out there would allow the general public to go to them and just say, "ok, heres the bike model I want, these are the components I want and now heres the color I want?!" Seriously. I think more companies would sell more bikes. How many times do you walk into a lbs, find the bike you want/love but in the back of your mind your're thinking, "This isnt the color I want." How many times does Santa Cruz, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek, GF, Ellsworth, Giant and others come out with new bikes that make you think that this is the "hot" color this year. Maybe I dont want a puke green bike! Ok, maybe in Southern California the hot color is purple but in North Carolina where I live and ride it isnt!? Or maybe in Wisconsin or Pennsylvania to the marketing executives the hot color is a certain kind of red but I live in Arizona or Utah and all I want is a polished frame?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sideknob said:
Once you've built your own, and hand picked every p
art, a lot of off the shelf bikes seem boring.
exactly. there's nothing more boring than a stock Trek.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
ryancycle said:
exactly. there's nothing more boring than a stock Trek.
A friend of mine sells GT - I had a look at a new Zaskar in his shop the other day. He was pretty keen on it - but all I could see were the things I'd change.

And the black paint did nothing but hide the special Zaskar frame features too.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
yea, trek's can get pretty boring. I find their hardtails to be somewhat fun, but I rode one of their liquids once... just...boring feel with a combination of low end components. didnt make a fun ride.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I'm going to get crusified for this. The most boring bike I've ever ridden was a santacruze V10. It was a loaner and a Great bike but it made a challenging decent on my HT too easy and therfore boring. To this day, I can't help when I see one, think of how boring the ride felt.

Rationallly I know on the right terain I could have a ball on one of these things but for some reason this predgudice is solidly burnt into my brain.

·
Registered
624 Posts
shwinboy said:
I'm going to get crusified for this. The most boring bike I've ever ridden was a santacruze V10. It was a loaner and a Great bike but it made a challenging decent on my HT too easy and therfore boring. To this day, I can't help when I see one, think of how boring the ride felt.

Rationallly I know on the right terain I could have a ball on one of these things but for some reason this predgudice is solidly burnt into my brain.
I know what ya mean. I'm a pretty dedicated hardtail rider myself. every time I consider dropping some cash on a f.s. bike, I come across something like this:

mmmmm..... ti hardtail.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
ryancycle said:
I know what ya mean. I'm a pretty dedicated hardtail rider myself. every time I consider dropping some cash on a f.s. bike, I come across something like this:

mmmmm..... ti hardtail.
Those seat stays are anti boring. Drool. I actually own a dualie now for days when I'd prefer slightly boring over challenging.

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
Melt said:
most boring bikes? Those ones with the skinny tires you ride on the road.
The Hater is back!

Why limit yourself, dude? Road bikes are fun. Cyclocross bikes are fun, downhill bikes are fun, cross country bikes are fun, 29'ers are fun, singlespeeds are fun, dirt jumpers are fun, and BMX bikes are fun.
Pity you're so limited, but i'm not surprised.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
djcrb9 said:
Cyclocross bikes are fun, downhill bikes are fun, cross country bikes are fun, 29'ers are fun, singlespeeds are fun, dirt jumpers are fun, and BMX bikes are fun.
Pity you're so limited, but i'm not surprised.
ridden all of those except a 29 and cyclocross ..... yes those are all fun because they involve dirt.

·
hot arse Florida
48 Posts
Astroman35 said:
I see tons and tons of these things all over the place in these parts. N. Cali that is. I don't understand.. custom colors big whoop, overpriced YES, external bushings waiting to be damaged Yes, tons of maintence issues from what I've heard,,No thanks, single pivot ...I prefer the horst link..etc. I'm not trying to start anything here I'm just not feeling the hype.
Funny thing is in the South East, I hardly see a Blur. Yes I do have one and it is a nice ride. Around here boring is Trek. It kind of goes with what most retailers sell in your area I suppose. I like the custom setup as others mentioned.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
i wish i never bought my blur. I got a 2005 frame used, and 3 months into owning it the frame cracked ... santa cruz wouldnt cover cause i wasnt the original owner.

swapped all my parts over to a 2005 trek fuel ex9 frame that was brand new and no problems yet, had this bike for almost 4 months now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.