Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 400 Posts

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
Not bored.

But I *can* contribute.

My first real off-roadable drop bar bike was my Willits B2. Rode it for the better part of '03-'04 like this.

Learned a lot from that bike and that year. Primarily that my hands are permanently scarred from years of racing in a too-low 'ricky-racer' cockpit position, such that riding on drop bars (any drop bars with any stem length/rise you can dream up combined with any padding/tape/foam and glove combo you can dream up) is a relatively painful proposition unless I'm climbing. I also learned that the relative narrowness of drop bars makes it difficult to get enough leverage to climb or descend tech trails in these parts. It can certainly be done (tho' I never see anyone locally on drops) but it's not nearly as much fun as riding with a more traditional hand position.

Lastly, I learned that when I ride dirt roads and atv tracks on this type of bike, I prefer a rigid fork and a little give out back--exactly the opposite of the B2.

So I sold it. Then spent a few years enjoying all of my traditional handlebar FS bikes while letting the idea of a drop bar bike fester in my brain.

I knew what I wanted it to do, but it took some time to puzzle out how to get there.

Here's 'there'.

Drop bars, disc brakes, a little bit of rear squish, currently riding road with it using 23mm tires, but plenty of room front and rear for 2.5's. Although I spend more time on several other bikes throughout the year, this one gets more miles put on it by far.

I use it for CX, XC, and combo dirt/pavement rides,

I also use it for very mellow ST rides and all winter long when the roads are snow and ice packed and having a low pressure tubeless 2.3 on there is the ideal tire for the conditions.

It is a great bike. Monstercross? Drop bar MTB?

I don't really care what name gets attached to it. To me, it's a great BIKE.

MC

· Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks, MC. Great adds.

Beautiful photos as usual. Is the last photo recent? I know you encountered ice on your last alpine ride report, was there snow this time? We've had some sleet here (I'm onthe CDN east coast, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence) but no snow yet.

Nice stem and fork on that Moots. Truly a beautiful BIKE.

I'm not too interested in coming up with a hard-n'-fast definition of drop-bar 29er/Monstercross/etc. either (all are welcome here) but I thought the Monstercross thread was lacking in the more MTB influenced builds.

Also, +1 on the width issue. If I wasn't riding drops, I would prob have gone w/the Salsa 710mm/17* AL bars. I'm pretty broad-shouldered, so we'll see how the drops serve me over the long term. Anyone else want some wider MTB drop-bar selection? Salsa, are you listening?

Welcome, Ink1373, and thanks lots for the flickr album, It's been a source of inspiration!

C.

· This place needs an enema
17,703 Posts
txmtb said:
Mike, what kind of bar tape/foam is that on your bar? Also, who made the stem, that is sweet! Thanks.
It's the ESI road bar stuff. Not sure what it's called but it's a PITA to install. Worth the pain so far--pretty comfy and doesn't seem too cold in winter.

The stem was made by Brad Bingham--creative fabricator extraordinaire at Moots.

Cheers,

MC

· Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the reply Mike

mikesee said:
It's the ESI road bar stuff. Not sure what it's called but it's a PITA to install. Worth the pain so far--pretty comfy and doesn't seem too cold in winter.

The stem was made by Brad Bingham--creative fabricator extraordinaire at Moots.

Cheers,

MC
I remember those shots of your drop bar Wilits from back in the day. You're a big reason that I converted my Black Sheep to drop bar status. I love it! By the way, I'm the guy who sold you the orange Strong 29er with the Action Tec fork. I miss that bike. Glad to see you're on the Midge. Lee.

· Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
PaintPeelinPbody said:
I believe this is more of a Monstercross thread than a Drop-Bar 29er
That's such a fine line, I hardly think it matters. As segmented as bicycle marketing has become, I like to think bikes are like songs; there's only two kinds and I like the good ones. :thumbsup:

Keep the pics comin' fellers!

C.

3,048 Posts
Drevil said:
I love the looks of a burly, drop-bar equipped bike, but my hands and back usually end up suffering.
I used to be a huge Midge fan, rode 'em exclusively for 18+ months. An increase in skills, and acquisition of suspension, made me realize the limits of the bars, and know my Leviathan is equipped (for the foreseeable future) with risers and Ergons.

I do miss the flared drops, tho. My KM, as pictured below, was not the most technically expedient, but was really damn fun. I'll be getting a Gary bar soon to bring it back in this form.

(Picture by Bear, on Munds in Sedona last winter. Man was that a fun day!)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 400 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.