Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's nothing to it. Post pictures of your drop bar equipped 29er.

If you like bikes with drops, there are a few threads on MTBR to peruse, but there's no Drop-Bar MTB thread on the 29er board that I can find. Lets start one.

If you ride off-road in the hooks, post your ride up here! If you'd like to share your experiences and lessons learned while converting to or riding in drops, it would be a boon to others, so enlighten us.

Here's my '07 Unit, recently converted to WTB drop bars.

I used as much of the steerer as I could, and a 25 degree, 110mm 'Uno' stem (It's probably a Kalloy). I could use another 5-10mm of steerer, but I'm 98% happy with the bars where they are, and I don't have a problem riding in the drops exclusively. A Midge bar would get the hands higher, but I have XXL gloves and they won't fit (Sorry, Brant, I tried). I might install another rigid fork one day and I'll leave myself a bit more steerer if I do. Could someone extrapolate on the whole headset loading issue for me. I've had some difficulty setting the bearing since I moved all the stem spacers to the bottom.

I wanted to run full cables, and did, but I wish I had another cm or two of rear brake housing. It was tight on my 20" frame with the length supplied in the Shimano DIY kit. The bars can't rotate much past 90 degrees however so I don't see it being a problem.

I whipped the bar tape with hemp and weatherproofed (the hemp only) with clear shellac. I also added some hemp twine that my sister gave me to the top-tube to secure the housing, I like it better than stick-on guides plus it acts like a top-tube pad of sorts.

And the ride? It takes some getting used to, but I love it so far. It really got more weight on the front of the bike without putting it all on my hands. My weight seems to be more evenly distributed across my upper body muscles as well. Regardless, I now rail turns. Good times.

Here's a couple of ride pics to round out the post. If you decide to post, please add a couple of ride pics as well.

If this isn't enough for you, here's the Mostercross threads,

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=192307
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=355649

Ink1373's awesome and varied flikr collection of drop-bar dirt bikes,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157606306503239/

a Monstercross tire discussion,

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=432707

And my Monstercross bikes:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=5008193&postcount=18

Thanks for coming out,

C.

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, SSStu!

I'm jealous. Be sure to post up your Singular when it arrives. I think the general consensus 'round here is that they're beautifully built and finished bikes. I know I want one!

The one above with the panels matching the leather is stunning!

You say you're waiting for a prototype, is there a new model other than the Swift or Peregrine in the pipeline or updates to the current offerings?

Thanks for posting!

C.

EDIT: Just read the Singular site, looks like there's lots of new stuff on the way, be sure to keep us posted!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
You say you're waiting for a prototype, is there a new model other than the Swift or Peregrine in the pipeline or updates to the current offerings?

There sure is.

The frame and fork I'm waiting for is called the Gryphon.

It's very similar to the Swift but with a longer head tube to allow for running a brop bar.

I'll be posting up plenty of pictures of it as soon as it arrives and I'm sure Sam will be along shortly to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
the fabulous blue drop-bar singular that my daughter is racing and is posted above is likewise a drop-bar-specific frame by sam. it is a super-small gryphon, dubbed "hummingbird" ( before the newer 69er hummingbird ). she is 5'4". this bike is indeed most kick-ass.

·
Registered
563 Posts
T mon T said:
the fabulous blue drop-bar singular that my daughter is racing and is posted above is likewise a drop-bar-specific frame by sam. it is a super-small gryphon, dubbed "hummingbird" ( before the newer 69er hummingbird ). she is 5'4". this bike is indeed most kick-ass.

I believe it's also the sister frame to this cute little pink Singular.;)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
singlespeedstu said:
Not quite.

Designed here, but not made here.
Oh well, designed here is good enough.

Just great to see the 29er being 'made' in more & more countries other than just the US - and one with such great asthetics too ;)

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I love the looks of a burly, drop-bar equipped bike, but my hands and back usually end up suffering. Whenever I ride bikes, be it mtb, cross, road, or whatever, there's always a little voice in my head that says "Jump it!". :D Methinks that's why I end up sore. ;)

Anyways, here's my old Monkey (which I sold):

listenin' to the voice:

here's el Jamis, but after not too long, I took off the bars and put Marys on it:

I plan to build my Chester with the Midge or WTBs, but I suspect it'll hurt my back and I'll switch put the Jones H-bar back on. My plan is to take it chill on the Chester for dirt and road mixed rides, and probably throw a rack on it to discourage any extra-terrestial activity. :p

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice adds, Drevil! Puttin' the drop in drop-bar!

I was going to ask if anyone thought drop-bars were a liability when jumping, but I think you answered my question...nice pics. I've been getting used to, and enjoying, the feeling of jumping in the drops, I just haven't tackled any really technical terrain yet. I think I'll drive to the trails this weekend if the rain and flurries hold off.

Also, cool left-side-fixxed Jamis. I'm sure it looks pretty sweet w/the Jones bar as well. Is it a polo-bike or an off-road fix?

Keep 'em comin', everyone! Some great photos so far!

C.

·
'Calm Down'
853 Posts
Here's a photo of my Fat Front Matt Chester build. I put it together specifically for this "ride" - PSSWC08
I've ridden it once so far and I pretty much giggled the whole time. :D

The second photo is of course how it "normally" looks.

jw

Attachments

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Um, WOW. Insert expressive emoticon here. That Chester is beautiful, esp in fat-front form.

1 - 20 of 400 Posts