Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those in college.....

-I don't have my bike anymore as I was hoping to be able to afford a stumpy ht now that I am really into xc and biking 10+ miles a day. (not anymore obviously im bikeless)

I'm afraid that in college I will be bored and have nothing to do in the little freetime I will have. There is only so much studying you can do before your head explodes, so I was just thinking...

Now that I am without a bike when I go off to college, and there isn't anything to do in college, I will be bored out of my mind. IS it time to look for an inexpensive hobby? :confused:

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
There are bound to be other people at your college into mountain biking. If not--get some people into it. Pick up a nice used bike and ride!

You mentioned that there isn't anything to do in college. Obviously you haven't discovered the wonderful world of hops and barley.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rockhoppers aren't too expensive, and are pretty f***ing solid. Mountian biking is only expensive if you let it be, and even though the temptation is great I encourage you to stay cheap. As long as the bike isn't a dangerously cheap/plastic POS, then you should know that the joy factor doesn't increase all that much $$$ spent. Spending loads of loot is for old fogies like me with feet and back problems.

I've ridden Rockhoppers and own a $2,600 bike. My ideal bike is actually in the $1,450 range. But a rockhopper is 90% of a stumpy hardtail and a stumpy hardtail is 90% of my current FS bike. Go figure.

Despite all the tech advances of FS bikes, I still really do love the classic stumpy hardtail to bits and the Rockhopper is nearly as good.

Oh, whatever you do. Stay away from video games, TV, and commited relationships while in college. IMO they will suck up your time and cloud your judgement. I'd be in a PhD program right now or making six figures otherwise.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mountain biking is the only good thing to do since a lake is right next to the college and there are plenty of trails. Maybe if I can afford it I will go out and get me the base line rockhopper and ride the crap out of it. I thought about a SS cruiser but it just doesn't appeal to me for everything.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
cmktech said:
For those in college.....

-I don't have my bike anymore as I was hoping to be able to afford a stumpy ht now that I am really into xc and biking 10+ miles a day. (not anymore obviously im bikeless)

I'm afraid that in college I will be bored and have nothing to do in the little freetime I will have. There is only so much studying you can do before your head explodes, so I was just thinking...

Now that I am without a bike when I go off to college, and there isn't anything to do in college, I will be bored out of my mind. IS it time to look for an inexpensive hobby? :confused:
You're joking, right? You can't seriously be posting this. Yoe're in COLLEGE, man! He-llOOOOooooo.:skep:

Let me introduce you to the idea of ..... women!

Curvy, cuddly, cute and ready to be dazzled by a young guy like yourself (oh, you're a guy, right? if not reverse the gender references).

You know, if I was ..... :eekster:

Sorry. SORRY!!!!! My most humble of apologies - you said inexpensive.

Uhhh, go ride a bike. :D

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
College....

Bored in college? You're doing it wrong.

I had more free time in college than I've ever had since. I also wasn't bored to often. I took classes I liked, had an extremely interesting personal relationship or two, did lots of a couple drugs, shot a lot of pool, played a lot of frisbee, went to at least two parties a week...

I didn't bike though, even though there was a big state forest right next to my campus which would have been a blast. I took up biking later.

·
emteebee
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't wait to get out of here and off to college, I can't stand being yelled at by mom for stupid things 24/7, at least if I am bored there I will be bored without my mom in my ear.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
cmktech said:
Oh i will most definately be drinking and fondling with the female anatomy, but that cant happen 24/7.
Well, you know, college. Kinda gotta make it look good.

Oh, coincidentally, that DOES become a skill later on in life. Looks like you'll do alright. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18,558 Posts
Oh. My. God.

Do you know how much I'd like to be back in college (now that I've been out 12 years since undergrad)?

The greatest era in the history of civilization is COLLEGE!

How the hell can anyone be bored in college???

Oh wait...I just saw your last post that you're not yet in college, but you're on your way. You're in for a treat.

The best advice I ever got from anyone was, "Never pass up a f***." I just wish I'd followed that advice a bit more often.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Wow you must be the only person on this board from elk grove CA. There are absolutely no hills there. I frequent that place since i have family down there. Do you go to Sheldon or Elk grove ? Which college are you going to ?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:confused: Bored in College :confused: Dude if that really becomes the case you ain't doing something right :nono: Seriously if between studying and partying you have time for other stuff besides sleeping, you let us know and we'll set you straight.

·
Registered
861 Posts
College isn't all it's cracked up to be. I expected tons of fun when I went away to college but ended up hating it. Crappy roommates, crappy food and nasty girls. I transfered out to a small community college and liked it much better. You can have a lot of fun at a small community college, while still living at home IMO.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,792 Posts
cmktech said:
You're saying you're not going to have much, if any, free time, and you're concerned about being bored?

Does this make sense? Am I taking crazy pills?

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
What happened to your bike?

cmktech said:
-I don't have my bike anymore as I was hoping to be able to afford a stumpy ht now that I am really into xc and biking 10+ miles a day. (not anymore obviously im bikeless):
What happened to your bike? If you are into riding 10+ miles a day why would you get rid of it? Since you couldn't afford a stumpy ht you got rid of the only bike you had? Any bike is better than no bike. And if you are going to UC Davis it is a bike heaven. So get a bike. Get rid of that ridiculously big gas guzzling truck and you can afford a bike.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.