Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading some of the releases/reviews on dropmachine.com and nsmb.com about the upcoming RS forks, and I was wondering something. Is the two-step version of the Lyrik and Totem an all-or-nothing travel adjustment?

What I mean is, can the fork be run somewhere in the middle of its range of travel, or does the 2-step travel reducer bring the travel all the way down, and then it goes all the way back up when it's reversed? It seems to me that it's all or nothing, and I was hoping that it could be run somewhere in between.

IIRC, the coil U-turns can be run at a point in the middle of their travel range, isn't that true?

I realize that very few people have actually been on these forks, just some industry press people, PUSH and a few RS cohorts.

On a slightly different topic, what're everyone's thoughts on the price difference between the Domain and Lyrik/Totem? They seem to have similar features, here's what seems to be different:
  • the Domain's got the older-style motion control damping intead of the new mission control (but nobody that I've seen was complaining about the motion control)
  • the Domain's a bit heavier than the Lyrik (but similar in weight to the Totem)
  • doesn't have the "proprietary AL 66-TV aluminum" that the Lyrik and Totem have
  • isn't available as an air shock or with 2-step air

The Domain's list price is a little over half of what the Totem gonna retail for. And about 60% of the Lyric. Do you guys think it's gonna be worth it to spend the extra $ for the above features, and possibly to save 0.5 to 0.75lbs? Or maybe that's a silly question to ask of the Turner forum ;).

Any input, speculation, opinions or outright falsities are welcome.

Patrick

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
PCinSC said:
I've been reading some of the releases/reviews on dropmachine.com and nsmb.com about the upcoming RS forks, and I was wondering something. Is the two-step version of the Lyrik and Totem an all-or-nothing travel adjustment?

What I mean is, can the fork be run somewhere in the middle of its range of travel, or does the 2-step travel reducer bring the travel all the way down, and then it goes all the way back up when it's reversed? It seems to me that it's all or nothing, and I was hoping that it could be run somewhere in between.

IIRC, the coil U-turns can be run at a point in the middle of their travel range, isn't that true?

I realize that very few people have actually been on these forks, just some industry press people, PUSH and a few RS cohorts.

On a slightly different topic, what're everyone's thoughts on the price difference between the Domain and Lyrik/Totem? They seem to have similar features, here's what seems to be different:
  • the Domain's got the older-style motion control damping intead of the new mission control (but nobody that I've seen was complaining about the motion control)
  • the Domain's a bit heavier than the Lyrik (but similar in weight to the Totem)
  • doesn't have the "proprietary AL 66-TV aluminum" that the Lyrik and Totem have
  • isn't available as an air shock or with 2-step air
The Domain's list price is a little over half of what the Totem gonna retail for. And about 60% of the Lyric. Do you guys think it's gonna be worth it to spend the extra $ for the above features, and possibly to save 0.5 to 0.75lbs? Or maybe that's a silly question to ask of the Turner forum ;).

Any input, speculation, opinions or outright falsities are welcome.

Patrick
...for the $$, I would much sooner go with a closeout 06 Zocchi (in a heartbeat!). Seriously, the 07 RS seems waaay overpriced considering the competition. Maybe if they were cheaper, but definitely NOT with a bigger pricetag!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
It is not quite all or nothing. The two step still gives you 115mm of travel at its lowest setting, which is not bad at 4.5". This works out well for trails that have more than one climb, or undulating topography. Compare the two step to the Marzocchi ETA, where you only get 30mm of useable travel, with the fork fully compressed. I have a Z1 light and it essentially turns into a rigid fork when the ETA is used. I am not a big fan of ETA after using the U-turn on my Pike. No contest between the two in this regard, imo. My fork has the TAS feature, which is somewhat a pain in the ass to use and the travel is only reduced 20mm. Not enough. It is a good fork, but no where near, as user friendly as the Pike.

The Lyric will be available with the U-turn and there is useable travel between the max settings. There is a bit of a weight penalty though. I really like the U-turn feature. It is nice to have useable mid range, or lower travel for certain trails.

The prices sure went through the roof though. With that said, I am contemplating selling both my Pike and Z1 light to get a Lyric.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jncarpenter said:
...for the $$, I would much sooner go with a closeout 06 Zocchi (in a heartbeat!). Seriously, the 07 RS seems waaay overpriced considering the competition. Maybe if they were cheaper, but definitely NOT with a bigger pricetag!
I mostly agree, the '06 Zokes will be a great value when all the '07s are released. The adjustability of the RS (and even the new Zokes) is quite nice though.

Overpriced, absolutely. But they're in line with the Fox 36 Talas and new Zoke 66sl. But they are all still overpriced. Or maybe I'm just too poor.

Patrick

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
what ronny said. i rode darrens pushed lyric last month and i was blown away by it. not that it was stock by a long shot. the price of a pushed lyric is gonna be stupid crazy compared to the stupid price od a stock unit. think id wait till they decide aluminum is not the same as gold. see ya in marzocchiland till then.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ronny said:
The Lyric will be available with the U-turn and there is useable travel between the max settings. There is a bit of a weight penalty though. I really like the U-turn feature. It is nice to have useable mid range, or lower travel for certain trails.
Exactly. I'd look to pair it up with 5" in the rear. So I want a fork that I can set and forget at from anywhere between 130-150mm. Then be able to lower it for long and/or steep climbs. And then, if there's a steep descent, let it all the way up to slack the HA out. I personally would feel more comfortable with the coil version, I can live with the weight penalty. That's if there even is a spring rated high enough for me.

ronny said:
The prices sure went through the roof though. With that said, I am contemplating selling both my Pike and Z1 light to get a Lyric.
Let me know if you're getting rid of them, they're both still on my "list of contenders". ;)

Patrick

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yeah, I will let you know. I will probably end up hanging on to both forks, for the next little while. I want to try them both out, before I decide to sell. The Z1 Light seems to be a really good fork, but I miss the adjustability of the Pike.

One thing that I forgot to mention about the Lyric, is the A2C height. It is pretty tall at 545mm (Tall to me) and only goes down to 540mm with the travel reduced. The Z1 light is 538.5mm at full travel, so it might be a little easier to keep the front end down with the Z1. Go figure.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ronny said:
One thing that I forgot to mention about the Lyric, is the A2C height. It is pretty tall at 545mm (Tall to me) and only goes down to 540mm with the travel reduced.
Wait, I'm confused. Even though the forks travel can be reduced 45mm (from 160mm down to 115mm) the ride height is only reduced 5mm (from 545mm to 540mm)? I thought the whole point of having the travel reduction was to reduce the fork height to steepen the HA for climbing (or to tweak the geometry of the bike). I guess I have a misconception of how the U-turn feature works.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
No, I am confused. I mis-read this article. I think. The a2c is +/- 5mm at 160mm. I guess we will have to wait to get more definitive numbers.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/rockshox07_06_06.php

Colour choices are Black, Diffusion Black, and Diffusion Silver. Maximum recommended rotor size for the Lyrik is 210mm, and they'll fit a 2.7" tire. Axle-to-crown height is 545mm +/- 5mm at 160mm.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ronny said:
No, I am confused. I mis-read this article. I think. The a2c is +/- 5mm at 160mm. I guess we will have to wait to get more definitive numbers.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/rockshox07_06_06.php

Colour choices are Black, Diffusion Black, and Diffusion Silver. Maximum recommended rotor size for the Lyrik is 210mm, and they'll fit a 2.7" tire. Axle-to-crown height is 545mm +/- 5mm at 160mm.
Oh, that's what you were looking at. I think that's just the tolerance they're specifying. IOW, they put that in fine print so that when you get home and measure the a2c and find that it's 540mm and not 545mm they can say, "well, we said that it might be off 5mm one way or the other."

At least, that's how I'm reading it.

Patrick

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Exactly. I'd look to pair it up with 5" in the rear. So I want a fork that I can set and forget at from anywhere between 130-150mm. Then be able to lower it for long and/or steep climbs. And then, if there's a steep descent, let it all the way up to slack the HA out. I personally would feel more comfortable with the coil version, I can live with the weight penalty. That's if there even is a spring rated high enough for me.
PCinSC I don't get it why would you pair this fork up with 5inches with the PIKE set for this catagory.

The PIKE is perfect for this travel, Lyrik for the RFX up?

Ive just changed from a AM to the Pike on my Spot mainly cause the balance was not quite maximised and reducing the travel to get the HA right is wasting the Marz best attribute smooth buttery travel, plus Ive gone bigger on the PIKE than on anything Ive ridden except for riding a 9inch DH bike and it handles the big stuff beautiflly, Ive been blown away by this fork on the Spot. A great fork for an aggressive rider looking for the perfect 5-6inch easy to use fork.

RFX for a Lyrik IMO, though and its early days but I don't see the point its a little like sticking a 66SL on a Spot just wrong.
But everyone to there own.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
G-AIR said:
SSinGA,
did you get your fork back yet? is there a noticeable improvement?
let us know when you get a chance.
thanks,
tg
It finally came back - after Zocchi lied to me twice about it shipping:madmax:

It now has white lowers (yuck) but the stickyness feels like it is gone in living room tests.:rolleyes:

I should be back riding this week and will post the actual results then.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
trailadvent said:
PCinSC I don't get it why would you pair this fork up with 5inches with the PIKE set for this catagory.

The PIKE is perfect for this travel, Lyrik for the RFX up?

Ive just changed from a AM to the Pike on my Spot mainly cause the balance was not quite maximised and reducing the travel to get the HA right is wasting the Marz best attribute smooth buttery travel, plus Ive gone bigger on the PIKE than on anything Ive ridden except for riding a 9inch DH bike and it handles the big stuff beautiflly, Ive been blown away by this fork on the Spot. A great fork for an aggressive rider looking for the perfect 5-6inch easy to use fork.

RFX for a Lyrik IMO, though and its early days but I don't see the point its a little like sticking a 66SL on a Spot just wrong.
But everyone to there own.
See, the thing is, even if I run the RFX in 5" mode, it's still a RFX. Meaning I'm gonna ride it hard, harder than I would've rode a Spot. After all, the RFX frame is overbuilt (designed for freeride) and weighs over 9lbs. So even though it's a 5" bike, it's not a Spot.

I'm sure the Pike would be just fine, and depending on product availability and my personal budget I may end up going with a Pike. I'm leaning toward the thicker stanchioned forks because I know I'll have complete confidence that they will be able to handle whatever I dish out. With the Pike I may have doubts in the back of my mind (maybe unwarranted) when jumping, dropping, etc. A small penalty in weight (and a larger penalty in cost) will bring me piece of mind (not to mention better performance).

My purchase it also going to be guided by my new status as a lemming. The crowd is calling for a 66sl, so I'm leaning that way. :p Seriously, though, the only thing I don't like about the 66sl is that it doesn't have "on the fly" travel adjustment, and it's an air shock.

Patrick

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
PCinSC said:
Seriously, though, the only thing I don't like about the 66sl is that it doesn't have "on the fly" travel adjustment, and it's an air shock.

Patrick
IMO...OTF travel adjustment is just a marketing gimick and not really a have-to-have feature for trail riding. With the 66sl you just set the travel for the trail you are riding. Mild - go 5". Little more robust - 5.5-6". Whoa, hang on - 6.5-7".

Oh, it doesn't feel like any air fork you have even leaned on.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,119 Posts
PCinSC said:
Seriously, though, the only thing I don't like about the 66sl is that it doesn't have "on the fly" travel adjustment, and it's an air shock.
The '07 will have it. I wouldn't be surprised if the ATA feature is retrofittable to '06s via a new cartridge, but we'll see. What SSINGA said about the air shock. It doesn't feel like an air shock/fork.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.