Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have mine. My friend doesn't and wants to go on our road trip to Whistler...

Has anyone crossed to B.C. recently without a passport? Will they let you in if you're still rockin' the B-certificate? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
All they did was count our passports, didn't check the pictures or anything. Maybe you can find a friend or someone who has one and he can borrow it. That was last year, going there and back. Although if this fails you could be ****ed, you could say you accidently grabbed the wrong one or something.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
jawdrop on hardtail said:
All they did was count our passports, didn't check the pictures or anything. Maybe you can find a friend or someone who has one and he can borrow it. That was last year, going there and back. Although if this fails you could be ****ed, you could say you accidently grabbed the wrong one or something.
That's some wicked advice right there....falsifying identities at the border:rolleyes:

Cliffy, us Canucks are still allowed down there with just a B-Cert and a valid DL, so I guess it goes both ways.

Smart to make a call to your public access center to make sure though
 

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Karupshun said:
Cliffy, us Canucks are still allowed down there with just a B-Cert and a valid DL, so I guess it goes both ways.

Smart to make a call to your public access center to make sure though
Yeah, we're planning on hitting the road this Sunday! I'll have to search the net for an 800 number I guess. I got a passport last year so I wouldn't worry about it anymore. :rolleyes:

I've checked the website for Canadian border crossing requirements and they confirm what you said. I called AAA and they said you HAVE to have a passport now...

...So I'm not sure now, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone's been through lately... ;)
 

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nut! said:
Just get your passport expedited. It's fairly expensive, but probably beats spending a few nights in a Canadian jail cell.
:confused: I don't see him going to jail, he just won't get in... Also, I doubt they can expedite it in one day on a holiday weekend. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
Yeah, we're planning on hitting the road this Sunday! I'll have to search the net for an 800 number I guess. I got a passport last year so I wouldn't worry about it anymore. :rolleyes:

I've checked the website for Canadian border crossing requirements and they confirm what you said. I called AAA and they said you HAVE to have a passport now...

...So I'm not sure now, I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone's been through lately... ;)
Your friend should be fine with photo id (drivers' license) and birth certificate - definitely need both - but call US Customs to be safe, they will know. Enjoy Whistler!
 

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gab26 said:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.
Looks like a birth certificate and license are good.
Thanks for the link. I found this Canadian site that confirms the same info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Curious as to why AAA says otherwise? I'm going to call again today to see if maybe I got someone who was full o ****. Still, it would be nice to know someone who has passed through recently under these circumstances... Anybody?... Anybody?... Bueller?... :skep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
Thanks for the link. I found this Canadian site that confirms the same info: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Curious as to why AAA says otherwise? I'm going to call again today to see if maybe I got someone who was full o ****. Still, it would be nice to know someone who has passed through recently under these circumstances... Anybody?... Anybody?... Bueller?... :skep:
I have gone to Whistler this year with the Drivers license/Birth Certificate combo.If you are driving this will work,but if you are flying or traveling by boat across the border you will need a Passport. Washington residents can get a Enhanced Drivers license which will take three weeks,once you apply you give up your permenet license and get a temp.you can not use the temp. to cross though.This will only be fore driving across.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Alternative Solutions

Dude, if you live in LA or near this is what I had to do:

I had less than a week to part-take on a trip to Whistler with my friends and had no US Passport, no greencard, and lots of desires to go. So I visited my local INS office and spent one whole day in there; at the end I walked out with a Passport, stamped with greencard and a letter of "intent to travel" to Canada. Canadians, still gave me a rash at the border, eh, cuz that's what they 'boat, they're not used to the Brown and Proud. Fortunately for me my friends are white and they were like "umm, yeah Hozzer is our friend for many, many years and we come here lots"...The fat lady let me in. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
If your flying (which you said your not) you need a passport, if your driving you only need birth certificate and drivers license or state photo ID.

Jan, 2009 is when you need passport no matter how you cross.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top