Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
And things are likely to tighten up as there's been a couple of instances of US residents who claimed they were were on their way home to Alaska and weren't stopping in Canada but in fact were just headed to BC or Alberta for a vacation. So the likelihood is increasing of forced 14 day quarantine for anyone crossing the border.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/b-c-camp...erican-travellers-during-quarantine-1.4982173

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Yeah, not looking good with the runaway spike in the southern US.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-u-s-border-rules-and-restrictions-covid-19-travel-1.5619268

Canada-U.S. land border rules

To help stop the spread of the novel coronavirus, Canada and the U.S. agreed to close their shared land border to non-essential traffic starting on March 21. The agreement is reviewed every 30 days. So far, the border closure has been extended three times.

The current end date is July 21, and that date could be extended once again, particularly if the number of COVID-19 cases in some U.S. states continues to spike.

"I honestly don't think the border will open until the end of the year," said U.S. immigration lawyer Len Saunders. "Especially when you hear about more [COVID-19] cases in Arizona and Texas and all these southern states."

...and this sort of thing will just tighten the scrutiny

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/rcmp-americans-banff-alaska-1.5621452

Alberta RCMP issued seven tickets to Americans who stopped in Banff National Park to see the sights last week despite rules observed by the Canada Border Services Agency.

"If individuals have been allowed to enter Canada for an essential purpose, they have to abide by the requirements provided to them by the CBSA," said RCMP Cpl. Deanna Fontaine.

Under current rules, Americans may come through Canada to get home or get to work in Alaska, but they must travel along a direct path. When they need to stop for food or rest stops, they must maintain distance away from the public as much as possible.

Each of the tickets were issued under the Alberta Health Act at a rate of $1,200 each.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There's a lot that can happen in the next couple of weeks...fingers crossed.

Are the resorts/tourism industry pushing to have the borders opened?

·
Registered
417 Posts

It's already shut down to the end of July, and I think you can expect it to be extended again in July - they're only dealing with it on a month to month basis. In BC, which is a tourism destination, the Tourism associations are not pushing for opening, in fact they're just promoting travel within the province at the moment with travel from other provinces the next step.

·
Registered
425 Posts

BC doesnt want people from other provinces visiting yet, the idea of opening the border with the USA is not even close.

·
Registered
417 Posts
BC doesnt want people from other provinces visiting yet, the idea of opening the border with the USA is not even close.
By the way, despite recommendations from the provincial government, most of Fernie is quite welcoming to visitors from Alberta right now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
By the way, despite recommendations from the provincial government, most of Fernie is quite welcoming to visitors from Alberta right now.
That is good to hear. Did Blairmore sunday and I have never seen so many people there before, it was insane. In the parking lot I have seen max 6 vehicles and there was about 40.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I hope that folks in fernie and Sparwood are still welcoming Alberta’s as I am headed there next week

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
814 Posts
It is not illegal to cross Provincial borders from what I know.
Some of the locals may not be too happy if they are Covid 19 hyper sensitive......but as long as you follow Bonnie Henry's rules you should be fine!
Your money is as good as those from BC!

I am going to wait it out a bit and let the craziness settle down before I head out to the Kootenays!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts