Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a pair of Louis Garneu Ergo boots. Starting to think maybe the Pear Izumi' may have been a better choice. These will be used for winter riding anywhere from -10F and up.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Honestly I don't know anyone with the Garneu boots. I do know a guy who rides every day in Minneapolis on the Pearl Izumi, likewise with the Lakes, and I own the Shimano's.

If I was going to venture a guess, I might guess that the LG boots might be like the Sidi's, not quite enough for real cold. Give a report.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Lake's are the way

zombinate said:
Honestly I don't know anyone with the Garneu boots. I do know a guy who rides every day in Minneapolis on the Pearl Izumi, likewise with the Lakes, and I own the Shimano's.

If I was going to venture a guess, I might guess that the LG boots might be like the Sidi's, not quite enough for real cold. Give a report.
I live and ride in Minneapolis in -10 - actually just this week I rode in -10. :)

I wear Lake boots - but they are really not ideal for much below 20s if you plan to spend more than 2-3 hours outside. They are minimally insulated compared to non SPD winter boots.
That said - I pre-heat my Lakes on a boot dryer and use good wool socks, ensuring my feet are very dry when I start. Sometimes I use toe heaters - pre-heat them for 10 minutes prior to getting into your boots and know that there is not enough oxygen to really keep them at full heat. Do not strap your boots on as tight as your summer shoes - leave them loose - your toe warmers and feet in general will stay warmer, longer.
I can ride 2 hours in -10, but the last 30 minutes my feet are on the downhill slide.

If that does not work - go with winter boots and platform pedals. Cold feet = miserable ride. My feet are always the 1st thing to give out on a winter ride!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You really need to know what your feet can take. Some on here can ride Lakes, for example, for several hours at subzero temps. I wish I could but I can't, after it gets down below about 10 degrees F it doesn't matter what I put in them or what I cover them with I get cold feet. They are about the best non custom clipless compatible shoe though. For me Cabelos Snow Hikers two sizes too big with chemical warmers does the trick for several hours if it's down to about zero. Below that I stick them in Neos.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is the set up I've been using for the last few years with good results.

Thin REI liner socks (base)
RBH Vaportherm sock (mid)
REI Expedition weight wool sock (outer sock)
Oversized Lakes

I'm good down to 0 for a few hours, around -10 I need to use chemical warmers or walk every once and a while to warm up. Above 40 is almost too warm and my feet get really sweaty.

I wish somebody would come out with a simple, well insulated, spd boot. Putting on 3 layers of socks is kinda a pita

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
i second the cabelas snow hikers. been using them for "snow hiking" for a couple of years. they are like running shoes with higher sides and insulation.

use them with flat peddles. when clipping in i use the shimano's with gator neoprene socks(as socks) and booties and waterproof covers over that. keeping the neoprene booties dry is essential.

both of these are good down to 5 degrees for me after that i need chemical foot warmers or put on my LaCrosse extreme boots, but breathing becomes an issue past -5 degrees.

next year i will get lake boots to try out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.