Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks, we had smiles on our faces when we showed up to the motel and jumped out with T-shirts on at 9:30 in the evening. We started our celebratory drinking and quickly went to sleep (passed out?).

Today we headed to the LBS to get the local knowledge. Armed with a map and a general direction, we headed out on our "All mountain" tour of the area. Since neither Rob and I have been on bikes since mid-December, we wanted to get our legs under us, balance back on the bikes, and take in the views and area a bit before we start to rip the DH this coming weekend.

We cruised up Girl Scout Trail (Green) to hook up with the inner Caldera loop. Before our departure, another rider from SoCal shows up with his Kona during a training break from Vegas. Juan was hauling with a 38lb triple clamp Kona... hats off to him.

First shot is Rob cruising the top of Girl Scout. G-scout is a fun rolling up hill you can mostly do in your middle ring. Lots of G-outs will keep the grins on your face.

2nd shot is Rob and Juan after a G-out with a huck on the left side (you'll see the alternate line with some shade. Its not trivial, and you can get at least 4 ft of air without trying.... Remember, this is a GREEN TRAIL!

3rd shot is the return to the road on the inner loop. THIS TRIAL IS FLOWY!

4th shot is Rob negotiating the ragged lines and expusre of the Skyline trail. Yeah, we're going up this baby. Its a black trail... I see why.

5th shot is Juan on his Kona. We're still on Skyline heading up. Vegas in the background.

Attachments

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We finished up going down the Boy Scout trail. This trail has small doubles and smallish hucks all the way down. We ended back at the middle - trail intersection area. We then picked up East Leg... A wonderful and tight technical - negotiating trail that will keep that sh!t eatin' grin on your face the entire way down. IT WILL WORK you, but Sooooo good!

At the bottom (Bathroom and parking area), there are some fun stunts; teeter-totters, gaps, bridges, etc. Juan found his Calling!

We then took a shot of Red Bull and headed out on the Lake View Loops. We went on Upper and then ripped around to Lower. These are the lower trail sections that allow the DH trails to connect with the parking lot. These may be easy, but they are SOOO flowy, and so fast. We ended up at one of the many play grounds for a small huck section. I ended hitting a nice 4 footer, no camera left.... I'll get it in tomorrow!

1st shot: Rob ripping the banked section of Middle Lake View

2nd shot: Juan hitting the 12ft gap!

3rd shot: Me on the Banked sections

4th shot: The rest of the Banked snakey sections. Can I say FLOW!

5th shot: Rob working on his flight plan confidence!

Attachments

·
fraid of heights
2,405 Posts
OH Man those trails look good... glad you guys had a break from the snow in Denver!

Can I ask where in Vegas you stayed and long it took you to drive to the trails? I'm heading out this summer for my brothers wedding. And I would love to get a chance to hit bootleg canyon. But I think logisticly I'm going to have to find a shop to rent a bike from and then some way to get the bike to the trail's.

Also, what kind of knee/shin pads does the dude on the Nomad have on?

Thanks!!! Apprieciate the pic's, can't wait till it warms up some around here...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm soooo jealous

Too bad i am such a wuss and couldn't tell the man to stick it and join you! Southwest has a flight on Friday.
35 minutes to a Nomad and a Spot in NC!
Have fun and don't let Rob scuff those Kona knee pads!

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stiingya said:
OH Man those trails look good... glad you guys had a break from the snow in Denver!

Can I ask where in Vegas you stayed and long it took you to drive to the trails? I'm heading out this summer for my brothers wedding. And I would love to get a chance to hit bootleg canyon. But I think logisticly I'm going to have to find a shop to rent a bike from and then some way to get the bike to the trail's.

Also, what kind of knee/shin pads does the dude on the Nomad have on?

Thanks!!! Apprieciate the pic's, can't wait till it warms up some around here...
We are staying at the Sands Motel (yeah, MOTEL) in Boulder City. We can ride to the trails from the hotel (only like .25 miles). From the Motel to the Parking area of Bootleg via car, its all of 5 minutes... if that.

As for the shin/knee pads.... Which shot? We have two Nomads (Robs is Blue, Mine is Black). Rob has the Kona launch, and I have the Dianese (Similar to Juan's set as he makes his landing approach).

·
Thread Terrorist
5,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bsturmco said:
Too bad i am such a wuss and couldn't tell the man to stick it and join you! Southwest has a flight on Friday.
35 minutes to a Nomad and a Spot in NC!
Have fun and don't let Rob scuff those Kona knee pads!
Right on Bsturm! Git yer arse down here NOW!!! Don't be a douche bag... now that you have the proper equipment!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.