Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About three weeks ago the Boulder City, City Council voted to give the river mountain trail over to "hikers only".
This group that has been backed be the eco terrorist group The Sierra Club, is also now trying to get the Boyscout trail.
They didn't get the Boyscout trail during the vote, so now they have been piling rocks on the downhill side of blind turns and in the tire lines on Boyscout.
The Sierra Club has organized hikes to flood the trails for about six months prior to the city council meeting to make it look like there was to many hikers to have bikes using the River Mountain trail safely.
Now that they got the River Mountain trail, activity on it is almost zero and some of the same hikers are now on the other ( bike ) trails in the area after saying that " hikers and bikers shouldn't mix."
If you see anybody piling rocks on the trails or doing any unauthorised work that looks like it is designed to interfere with bikes, pleased call Brent Thompson or the Boulder City Police imediately.
Of particular interest is an old man named Peter ( Tall and gangly with no shoulders ) that drives an old early 60s Sky Blue Chevy truck. He isn't supposed to be working on anything but the River Mountain Trail and is resposible for the theft of River Mountain Trail from the bikers by outright lies.
One of my favorite stories is how " Peter" built all those trails and how all that single track out there is " stolen jeep trails ".
I would like anyone that finds this of interest, to forward this thread to other bike related message boards.

Thanks Eric.

·
2,093 Posts
Lame

I knew something fishy was up. I will for sure keep a look-out for those involved to derail bootleg. I will also shout out to Brent and hope he bangs one of these do-gooders upside the head with his rake! THEY WILL NOT get their way. We need to stick together. Does this Pete guy really know anything of bootlegs past, hmmm?

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Bootleg Rides

It looks like we need to be spending some time up in Bootleg Canyon to watch over our trails. Maybe some afterwork rides are in order. The Sierra Clubbers in Boulder City suck. During the last lands bill open meetings one of them talked about how he used to love driving up on the mountains where he would park his truck and hike around --- okay I can dig that. But he continued, but I'm too old to do that now and I would like to see those areas protected by designating them as wilderness. What a hypocritical dirt bag. Unfortunately, many of them think that way. In the years I've been riding in Southern Nevada (including Bootleg Canyon) I've seen very few hikers on any of the trails. Sure, the trails are available for all -- but mountain bikers are the main user group in Bootleg and Cottonwood.

matt

·
2,093 Posts
I agree

mattbikeboy said:
It looks like we need to be spending some time up in Bootleg Canyon to watch over our trails. Maybe some afterwork rides are in order. The Sierra Clubbers in Boulder City suck. During the last lands bill open meetings one of them talked about how he used to love driving up on the mountains where he would park his truck and hike around --- okay I can dig that. But he continued, but I'm too old to do that now and I would like to see those areas protected by designating them as wilderness. What a hypocritical dirt bag. Unfortunately, many of them think that way. In the years I've been riding in Southern Nevada (including Bootleg Canyon) I've seen very few hikers on any of the trails. Sure, the trails are available for all -- but mountain bikers are the main user group in Bootleg and Cottonwood.

matt[/QUOT
Other posters, Check out Matt's site BARTA-NV.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
E ! said:
mattbikeboy said:

matt[/QUOT
Other posters, Check out Matt's site BARTA-NV.com
A few weeks back, one of our own was on here defending the Sierra Club.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=88918&highlight=Sierra+Club

Others and I tried to explain you can work with people that who's only wish is to see you GONE! It's like trying to talk to Osama! :mad:

I've come across rock "traps" on some of our local trails.... I'm happy I've never caught one in the act...I view that act as directly trying to hurt me...and that would result in an appropriate responce....

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I find it disgraceful that these people think putting rocks in the trail and trying to hurt people is a good solution. What if someone died? How could they live with that on their conscience? That's on a par with people purposely hitting roadies with cars to stop them riding on the road.

I'll gladly help you guys keep an eye on the BC trails if you don't mind waiting for me ;) I get off work at 2:30pm, so after-work rides are entirely possible for me.

- Jen.

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
Bootleg

When riding out at Bootleg -- take a camera. If you see suspicious persons or things on the trail ----- get photos. It sounds like some trail rides including Boy Scout and the Skyline trail are in order. Man there is nothing like opposition to bring mountain bikers together.

mc

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Its criminal...

mahgnillig said:
I find it disgraceful that these people think putting rocks in the trail and trying to hurt people is a good solution. What if someone died? How could they live with that on their conscience? That's on a par with people purposely hitting roadies with cars to stop them riding on the road.

I'll gladly help you guys keep an eye on the BC trails if you don't mind waiting for me ;) I get off work at 2:30pm, so after-work rides are entirely possible for me.

- Jen.
Please keep in mind, you people are looking for a person and group that is mostly senior citizens and fat angry houswives that can't hardly walk the trails. I know that sounds preposterous but its true. They are very organized and very capable of lying with pre conceived stories, I've already heard some of them myself.
My guess is; they figure if they are caught, the authorities won't do much of anything,
because they're women and older persons.
Unfortunatly that may be a true statement.
I think if the Boulder City PD really did an investigation on these people, they could charge them with some pretty serious stuff. Organising to intentionaly break the law like that involves some pretty serious charges, like "conspiracy to commit a felony".
The problem is getting the authorities to take it for what it is.
The other problem is getting people to actualy ride down the Boyscout and Skyline trails, because most of the riders going to the summit are downhilling and thus taking the Downhill Hike a Bike trail.

I'll tell you a short story, about how I discovered the Sierra Club was involved.

I was pestering hikers with questions one day, when I ran across this one particular hiker that looked familiar to me.
At first she claimed to be there only for the big NASCAR race the upcoming weekend and had walked up the River Mountain trail only to see the veiw. She told me she had never been there to Bootleg Canyon before. After I had been talking to her for about 10 mins, telling her about the rock piling ect, she verbaly slipped, and said " I was up here 2 weeks ago with a Sierra Club hike and didn't see anything like that ! " Ha! I didn't say a word about her royal screwup, but she got a look on her face right after she made that statment that said " I shouldn't have said that, Damn!!! "

As a final word; I am not computer literate when it comes to links ect. If anyone knows how to forward this info to other sites, I would appreciate it very much.

Later, Eric

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where to rent rigs for Bootleg?

I'm riding Bootleg in a couple weeks with a buddy. We want to ride both the downhill and XC trails if feasible, so we'll want to rent plush XC bikes.

What is the best place to rent bikes for Bootleg? Cost?

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
The more I read threads like this the more I loose hope. I am still a new biker and have not met a diverse bunch of riders yet but, I am under the impression that there is no organization within the mtb community. Unfortunately, the majority of riders I meet or know don't seem to be the type to get off their arses and do something about preserving trails. Why does it seem that we are fighting a loosing battle? I am under the impression that we are up against evil politicians (the worst thing ever) and trail hikers who hate us because most bikers are a holes and don't slow down or yield right of way. The worst is equestrians. They have money. Money talks. They probably have connections in politics because.....money talks. What do we have? 14 y/o Freeriders. Lazy mtrs who smoke pot and don't give a fhck. I don't mean to be argumentative but, where is the hope? IMBA? I have never met a single member who actively participates. Its easier to just say " oh well, ride what you can until they close it". Its not right but thats the way of the world.

Oh and one more thing. I have seen some serious ruts caused by rain that completely ruin trails. I try and try and try to come up with a reasonable explanation that concludes that mtbrs did not do it. But I can't. I am not anti mtb, but come on, when you see a small rut with tread marks down the middle and then the rains come and turn it into the grand canyon.... I am pretty sure horses and hikers didn't do it. How do we explain that to a city council?

·
desert dweller
Ventana El Ciclon
1,644 Posts
SMOKEY said:
The more I read threads like this the more I loose hope. I am still a new biker and have not met a diverse bunch of riders yet but, I am under the impression that there is no organization within the mtb community. Unfortunately, the majority of riders I meet or know don't seem to be the type to get off their arses and do something about preserving trails. Why does it seem that we are fighting a loosing battle? I am under the impression that we are up against evil politicians (the worst thing ever) and trail hikers who hate us because most bikers are a holes and don't slow down or yield right of way. The worst is equestrians. They have money. Money talks. They probably have connections in politics because.....money talks. What do we have? 14 y/o Freeriders. Lazy mtrs who smoke pot and don't give a fhck. I don't mean to be argumentative but, where is the hope? IMBA? I have never met a single member who actively participates. Its easier to just say " oh well, ride what you can until they close it". Its not right but thats the way of the world.

Oh and one more thing. I have seen some serious ruts caused by rain that completely ruin trails. I try and try and try to come up with a reasonable explanation that concludes that mtbrs did not do it. But I can't. I am not anti mtb, but come on, when you see a small rut with tread marks down the middle and then the rains come and turn it into the grand canyon.... I am pretty sure horses and hikers didn't do it. How do we explain that to a city council?
Unfortunately, you are correct in some of your statements.
1. Mountain bikers don't get actively involved.
2. Equestrian groups do have money (and in Nevada the wild horse issue gets lots of media attention).

I am an active IMBA member and active in our local Mountain Bike Advocay group. IMBA is a great resource for local clubs. They don't have the staff or resources to fight local access fights for us. We need to get active and start to work the political system ourselves. Then we ask IMBA for specific help in working within the political system. In my experience mountain bikers are very good about getting out and building/maintaining trails. However, we as a group are very poor about publicizing our work. We like to work in the morning and then run off to watch our kids play soccer, do yard work, or live our lives. We do not seek credit for our work.
In Las Vegas the equestrian groups get media attention everytime the say "wild horses need our help". They use wild horses to close trailheads and parking areas to mountain bikers (ie. Latenight in Cottonwood).

When we ride Bootleg Canyon and find a trap we need to call Boulder City PD and make a complaint. Only if they get enough complaints will the police department act. I would even venture to say that calling Brent Thompson won't get anything done. He is very aware of the problem and everyone knows that he is the mountain bike man -- which means he sounds like a broken record when he complains to city officials.

We need to support him and stand beside Brent in expressing our concerns -- not behind him. Lets hope that it doesn't take a 13 year scout on an mountain bike to get hurt by one of these stupid booby-traps to get the attention it requires.

matt

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Chutist said:
A few weeks back, one of our own was on here defending the Sierra Club.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=88918&highlight=Sierra+Club

Others and I tried to explain you can work with people that who's only wish is to see you GONE! It's like trying to talk to Osama! :mad:

I've come across rock "traps" on some of our local trails.... I'm happy I've never caught one in the act...I view that act as directly trying to hurt me...and that would result in an appropriate responce....
I stand guilty of pointing out that the SC is not the one-dimensional caricature that some people here seem to believe. That's me - traitor to the cause! :rolleyes:

BTW, were those rock traps labelled "Courtesy of the Sierra Club"? You don't need an SC membership to be a hateful whacko.

Yeah, that sucks about those trails, and it sucks that the LOCAL SC chapter utilized those tactics. So where were the mountain bikers at this meeting "a couple of weeks ago"? It's been my experience that MTBers are actually pretty well-organized when it comes to trail access issues, through local clubs and IMBA affiliation. So what happened here?

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Ericmopar said:
This group that has been backed be the eco terrorist group The Sierra Club, is also now trying to get the Boyscout trail.
Thanks Eric.
nice work. you call the Sierra Club "ecoterrorists"? no wonder the trails are in trouble. you probably pick trouble, rather than trying to solve problems. smart move, Mopar Moron.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
gonzostrike said:
nice work. you call the Sierra Club "ecoterrorists"? no wonder the trails are in trouble. you probably pick trouble, rather than trying to solve problems. smart move, Mopar Moron.
And tell us just how you will solve the problem.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
mbmojo said:
Probably NOT by whining about the Sierra Club as an unadulterated agent of all that is evil in the universe and bemoaning (and likely exaggerating) the lack of organization in the MTB community.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Drewdane said:
Probably NOT by whining about the Sierra Club as an unadulterated agent of all that is evil in the universe and bemoaning (and likely exaggerating) the lack of organization in the MTB community.
The Sierra Club does wield considerable political influence and has a history of opposing mountain biking on many places that aren't already paved.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
mbmojo said:
I would start by NOT EVER referring to them as ECO TERRORISTS if I planned to try to resolve a conflict with them.

I would think a person such as yourself, who delights in pretending to be much stupider than he is, ought to understand ths. ;)

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
mbmojo said:
The Sierra Club does wield considerable political influence and has a history of opposing mountain biking on many places that aren't already paved.
That is true, at least partly. I just take issue with some people's characterization of the SC as the root of all access problems faced by MTBers. At best, that is a simplistic viewpoint. The Sierra Club is not a monolithic, one-dimensional organization - it is organized into local chapters, and some will be more extreme than others. I believe some SC chapters (in CA, I think) have even engaged in outreach to the mountain biking community in their regions.

It's true the Sierra Club at the national level supports an interpretation of the Wilderness Act that defines mountain bikes as "mechanized transport" to be barred from wilderness areas. I disagree with this reading of the law, as I think do most mountain bikers. I think this is unfortunate, because I believe the SC and organizations such as IMBA could be natural allies in preserving America's open spaces. Instead, this one relatively arcane issue divides us.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.