Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its finally winter. I need something for these 30-20 degree rides for both a road and a more rounded toe mountain shoe.

I see these Potenza's, but only on the net. Quite open on the bottom. Then there's the more rubber sole ones, where you just cut out for the SPM cleat. I'll be walking in them at times so a tough bottom is needed. And there's nothing like crossing a river in the winter, so water resistance is important too.

Your opinions/guidence is appreciated.

Thanks
SB

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,899 Posts
Anything with a cutout will have no help for water resistance when going through a river. This also going to result in very cold feet also. If you truly are going through rivers deep enough to submerge your shoe at least a third of the way make sure that you invest in a waterproof sock. I recently used the Perfomance booties with Northwave Husky winter shoes and the temps were around 27 deg F. I was fine for 4 1/2 hrs (which by the way was a first for me as I've always only been able to handle 1 1/2 hrs before getting real cold toes, something to be said about getting wide enough shoes) and could have easily of gone longer, but no major water around, just snow and some ice buildup coming off of the front tire.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We stay dry most of the time, but with the small creek crossing, I just wanted everyone to know b/c of the waterproof vs not materials. I have used the neoprene sock, but that seems to be a large wet foot after a ride b/c they don't breathe, although it is water proof from the outside.
I'm wondering if I should have a totally open bottom of the bottie, or one of those booties with the rubber sole, since at least while mtnbkg, we do walk some times.

With the performance bootie, how do their soles hold up? Any interference with the ingagement of the cleat/pedal?

Did you get 2 or 3 sizes bigger than your shoe?

Thanks

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
I have the Performance booties. Good warm bootie. You cutout the rubber on the bottom so it's up to you how big the hole is. I've had them for two years and they're holdin up fine. I usually wear a 10.5 shoe and got the size 12 bootie for mountain shoes if that helps any.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
I'll second the Performance neoprene bootie. Buy it 2 sizes larger than your shoe size.

I've used them for years in the winter. In the Nor Cal coastal foothills it rarely gets below 45 degrees mid-day, so my feet sweat with them on. But it's better to be too warm than too cold on winter rides.

I use then for keeping my shoes clean on mud season rides, for quick after ride cleanups.

They do keep water out very well when crossing streams too. The snug fit on top over regular bike shoes makes an air bubble and keeps water from entering very much from the bottom. Just a little seepage from the top, shoes stay dry unless underwater a long time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, but.......

I'm thinking of going with the Performance one too. I have 2 types of shoes though, one a diadora geko mtn shoe, which is sleek like a pure road shoe only with treads and a big fat wide round toe cannondale 801, which is a good 1/2" wider and has that big round toe. Do you think the performance bootie will stretch over both? You bought 2 sized bigger for a sleeker or big round toe one? Or does it even matter?
Sorry, over analysis is a weakness of mine....:madman:
Thanks
SB

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
derby said:
I'll second the Performance neoprene bootie. Buy it 2 sizes larger than your shoe size.
3rd from me. I've had a set of Performance Booties for almost 10 years now. The zippers are gone but I've had velcro put on for a couple of bucks. They've endured (well, I've endured) sub-zero snowy commuting in Wisconsin as well as cold & windy road rides. As long as I don't step in a puddle my feet stay plenty warm.

And if you get them big enough for ATB shoes, road shoes fit in with room to spare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.