Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A wheelist
5,992 Posts
nathasm said:
Any used both chainrings and can give a performance difference?
If I understand correctly, neither are ramped, but the CD's at least come pinned. But are they both durable and yield good performance?
I've got a mixture on my bike - CD granny and Boone middle and outer. None come ramped but I read that Boone will pin them if asked. I've had my CD granny for about ten years, the middle for about 4-5, uhhh maybe seven, and the outer for two. None show any wear at all and work perfectly. Ramps and pins aren't an issue for me as I can shift without them.

As far as I'm concerned, they might be expensive but when you figure dollars per year they're the cheapest.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The Cycle Dynamics I bought a couple of years ago has both pins and ramps and shifts very well. It is not quite up there with the best Shimano, but it shows almost no wear after 2 years, I was previously killing XT middle rings every 6 months. It should pay for itself several times over.

The CD is also cheaper than Boone, about $50 I think.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I Have Been Running A-T and Boone

on my rig. I have an Action-Tec heat treated outer ring, Boone middle and A-T granny. The A-t's are both about 2 years old and still look brand new. The Boone is only a year old. Loved both sets. Have a Boone SS HD ring on the SS and have to admit, nothing looks as good as the Boone outers!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm running Cycle Dynamics granny and middle on both of my dual suspension bikes. I used to replace the steel grannys' every couple of months due to the teeth being compacted. I'm a little biased as C/D is a local company and I've watched the manufacturing process using the gear cutting equipment rather than machining or stamping.
MTBDad said:
on my rig. I have an Action-Tec heat treated outer ring, Boone middle and A-T granny. The A-t's are both about 2 years old and still look brand new. The Boone is only a year old. Loved both sets. Have a Boone SS HD ring on the SS and have to admit, nothing looks as good as the Boone outers!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Are the Boone's made with the gear cutting tool or are they machined/milled/stamped?

Also, i've read that the Boone's require spacers or washers between the middle chainring and the crank to achieve correct spacing... Do the CD's require spacers/washers?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
No washers required with Cycle Dynamics, at least not with Raceface cranks.
jakeplazma said:
Are the Boone's made with the gear cutting tool or are they machined/milled/stamped?

Also, i've read that the Boone's require spacers or washers between the middle chainring and the crank to achieve correct spacing... Do the CD's require spacers/washers?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.