Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give people an update on my Boone rings. As you can se from the close up picture, there is miminal wear on the tooth profile. There is a bit of wear on the sides due to a not ideal chain line. I hope to use them many years forward. I wil never use any other chain rings than Boone.

Attachments

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
dang...

Anders said:
Just wanted to give people an update on my Boone rings. As you can se from the close up picture, there is miminal wear on the tooth profile. There is a bit of wear on the sides due to a not ideal chain line. I hope to use them many years forward. I wil never use any other chain rings than Boone.
I don't even get a season out of a Sh¡mano middle ring. By the time that first rain and mud hits in fall, I'm chainsucking all over the place regardless of how well I care for my drivetrain (weekly ring and chain cleaning, lube chain before every ride, or every other ride).

I'm gonna get a Boone middle ring next time. I found a Vuelta nickel plated ring recently and hope that it will last longer than Sh¡mano.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Anders, how does the rest of the drivetrain work along the Boone rings compared to Shimano's? Can you tell a difference in wear on chain and perhaps cassette?

>I wil never use any other chain rings than Boone.
Does this mean no more chainrings from you????

Oh, soooo nice that Boone. If only I wasn't a 10-bikes man...

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Thats awesome.

Help me out here: What is a years worth of riding to you? A ride a week or 5 rides a week?

Whats the shifting like with boon?

I don't know if this is a silly question but does the lack of ramps and pins mean you can get chain suck easier??

·
NoTubes.com
600 Posts
Anders said:
Love those Boone rings, real art. That guy should consider making jewelery or something
:D

·
Registered
970 Posts
Trevor! said:
I don't know if this is a silly question but does the lack of ramps and pins mean you can get chain suck easier??
No, the lack of ramps and pins means that there is no guidance for the chain during shifts meaning thay may not shift as crisply as Shimano.

Chainsuck occurs because of worn chainrings and if boone rings last like that I'd suggest you won't be getting chainsuck in a hurry. When a chainring wears it gets to a point where the teeth start to form into hooks which, every so often will keep hold of the chain and try to pull it up the rear of the chainring towards the front derailleur. This is called chainsuck. I don't have the link anymore but there was a guy who did his PHD or thesis or something on chainsuck. His conclusion, replace the chainrings, nothing else combats it successfully.

Oh, nice rings, I gotta add that and will invest in some in the near future I beleive.

Cya, John.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
Well, what you can't see is the biggest issue. As the chain stretches, it stretches the teeth on the rings and cogs. What it does is actually make them spaced further apart, and when that happens, you can get horrendous chain suck, especially if you get a new chain. Think about it, with the teeth worn to where they are spaced further apart, they will jam into the chain and that's where you'll get the chainsuck. As pretty as the pictures are of the boone rings, it's very hard to tell what the actual wear is.

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They work fine with my XT cassette, PC-990 chain and XO deraillure. I think it was One speed Mike that said, that if you already know how to shift properly, you will have no problems with shifting on the Boone rings. Sure they don't shift under power like you can do on Shimano rings, but I wouldn't do that to mine anyway.

I ride about 2 days a week on my Heckler in average in a year and they have seen some bad weather

I have only had chain suck 2 times and that was in very very muddy conditions. It didn't repeat itself on the same ride. It happened when shifting from the large ring to the middle and the chain got caught in the front deraillure. I just shifted to fast and put power on to early, so I wouldn't blame it on the chain rings.

The are expensive for sure but worth it. Cloxxki jsut buy some for the bikes you ride the most. I will be getting some for my road bike, when the DuraAce rings are worn and for my new project.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was shopping to replace my costly $125 m960 big ring - checked out Boone(only $30 more for a work of art). At the time('bout 6months ago) they did not make ramped/pinned, but I got a reply something like "wait two weeks and we'll have 'em ramped and pinned". I'd bet they have a final product by now...

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
aussie_yeti said:
I don't have the link anymore but there was a guy who did his PHD or thesis or something on chainsuck. His conclusion, replace the chainrings, nothing else combats it successfully.

Cya, John.
Thanks for the information. I couldn't quite imagine spending 3 years doing a PhD on chain suck. That is particularly insane. I suppose the practical side of it would have meant a great bit of trail time.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Jm. said:
Well, what you can't see is the biggest issue. As the chain stretches, it stretches the teeth on the rings and cogs. What it does is actually make them spaced further apart, and when that happens, you can get horrendous chain suck, especially if you get a new chain. Think about it, with the teeth worn to where they are spaced further apart, they will jam into the chain and that's where you'll get the chainsuck. As pretty as the pictures are of the boone rings, it's very hard to tell what the actual wear is.
I was wondering about this sort of thing. I didn't quite think it could be as simple as people would think.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Unless the chain ring expands, if the teeth remain the same width the gaps between them can't expand. I can't see this happenning. Also, if the teeth take longer to wear, they'll take longer to stretch.

The teeth will wear on one side, though, causing the gaps to be bigger and this is similar to Jm's story.

Measure the dia. of a worn ring vs a new one, and see if there is any variation.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
dovid said:
Unless the chain ring expands, if the teeth remain the same width the gaps between them can't expand..
Effectively this is what happens, a tiny bit of material gets "sandwitched up" against the sides of the teeth, in other words the teeth get slightly smaller, leaving more space between them. I didn't explain it this way because the difference is extremely slight, and sometimes noticable to the naked eye, and sometimes not. You know what I am talking about with the material getting "packed up" on one side, but as we know, sometimes you can detect this, and sometimes it's enough to cause chainsuck, but not enough to be really detectable otherwise. Sometimes I try to keep things simple because you're going to loose people when you try to explain exactly what goes on...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Jm. said:
Effectively this is what happens, a tiny bit of material gets "sandwitched up" against the sides of the teeth, in other words the teeth get slightly smaller, leaving more space between them. I didn't explain it this way because the difference is extremely slight, and sometimes noticable to the naked eye, and sometimes not. You know what I am talking about with the material getting "packed up" on one side, but as we know, sometimes you can detect this, and sometimes it's enough to cause chainsuck, but not enough to be really detectable otherwise. Sometimes I try to keep things simple because you're going to loose people when you try to explain exactly what goes on...
Ok, I'm having a lot of problems with chainsuck with my XT crankset. Especially with the middle ring. I just have 6 months of riding on them. The teeth are visibly worn (the middle more than other rings) and the teeth are starting to look like hooks. Could I just take a file and straighten the edge of the teeth, just a little to take the "hook" off. Would it kill the chain?

·
A little of everything
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I change my chain about every 2-3000km. I have tried to file the hooks on a worn chain ring and it helped for a while as to chain suck, but if your middle ring is so worn it looks like shark teeth, then you have to replace them and probably also your cassette and chain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.