Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brett Brown cnc'd this up for me. It's a 17T cog that bolts in place of a disc rotor, thereby rendering the hub a fixie. Let me know if you want more pics or info.

Attachments

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
beautiful! my 21t standard cog should get here today or tomorrow.

question: does this mean that you are now running your rear hub backwards?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Drevil said:
Brett Brown cnc'd this up for me. It's a 17T cog that bolts in place of a disc rotor, thereby rendering the hub a fixie. Let me know if you want more pics or info.
Looks great! Show the complete build.
Also, what digi cam is that? Nice macro.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
now THAT is sexy.

while i couldn't see shelling out for the regular ti cog, THAT might be worth it. nice hardware!

·
Fat Boy Deluxe
409 Posts
Drevil said:
Oh man! That is ssweet! Can't wait, mine should be here today or tomorrow, but the postman doesn't like to drop off the mail until late evening...oh the waiting...

DT

·
Registered
295 Posts
Jeez...

Drevil said:
you could a least wipe the snot off your index finger before you pose the piece, ya know! :mad:

College pukes...I swear to gods...

Nice-looking bauble...what did it set you back?

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Oh nice!

Drevil said:
I was talking to the UK importer about getting a track cog made to fit a Miche "quick change" track cog carrier (see harris cyclery fixed gear page) as I have a Surly fixed / free hub!

Worth giving him an e-mail?

Later

SSP

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Very Nice, been waiting for one of these for a while. I have a question about the tooth profile though, with a Fixie you drive the cog in both directions (accelerating & braking), so I would expect a symetric tooth profile.

Time to respace a front hub to 135mm & make a fixie-only wheel....

Cheers,

Tom

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
You ride backwards?

You may apply force in both directions, but the chain is only ever going around in one direction; ie only "falling off" the teeth on one side.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Gawddam this Boone stuff is just downright fockin' sexy looking! I may have to splurge on a cog soon. What's cost, a buck a tooth or something like that? Maybe a ring to match would be cool...spendy, but dead sexy! :D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Fast Eddy - You ride backwards? said:
You may apply force in both directions, but the chain is only ever going around in one direction; ie only "falling off" the teeth on one side.
Not very good at riding backwards yet, but yes I do.

I thought the teeth were cut that way for wear? The amount of force put on the teeth in the reverse direction is easily as much, so you will load up the back side of the tooth profile. The time spent there depends on the terrain, but usualy alot less.

I have a Boone SS cog too (18t), and I actually prefer symetric teeth - it allows you to flip the cog for more run time, and I don't have a big issue with wear as I don't let my chain "stretch" too much - a worn chain is the main culprit for destroying cogs.

However, this might just solve my problem with stripping threads on fixie hubs - cogs have about 1/2 the threads that freewheels have, and the low gearing for MTB'ing puts alot more force on those threads than the road/track riders.

Cheers,

Tom

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A's for the Q's

Cost: $2.50/tooth & S/H

Slowsser: not usually. It's more of a bailout thing or when I'm in the mood to use it. Cold weather rendered my hub useless. I know there are solutions to the problem, but this is also nice to have. Now that it's gotten warm, I don't think I really need it on the hub. When it gets cold again, i.e. below freezing, I'll put it back on.

Jacob: Old skool Olympus C-3030

Singlespeedpunk: Worth giving Brett an e-mail? You decide. Very nice workmanship though.

Fast Eddy & Itsdoable: I agree with Itsdoable about the teeth.

I have a few issues with it that I want to discuss with Brett. Namely, tooth profile and clearance for the bigger heads of Torx disc rotor bolts. (Those are water bottle bolts on there now.) The next iteration should be fine.

Chainline seems fine. Check out pics below.

Attachments

·
WAWE
1,434 Posts
itsdoable said:
Very Nice, been waiting for one of these for a while. I have a question about the tooth profile though, with a Fixie you drive the cog in both directions (accelerating & braking), so I would expect a symetric tooth profile.
Probably a good idea.

Time to respace a front hub to 135mm & make a fixie-only wheel....
Now that's a great idea!

Hmm... wonder if King would make a 135mm axle for their front hub.

·
Rides Uphill Slow
487 Posts
Drevil said:
What's the website to order one of those cogs? I'd really like to "fix" my commuter. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts