Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
singlespeed smash brother
Joined
·
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the look of the Boon ti rings and cogs but am hesitant about outlaying the big bucks if they don't perform any better than al or steel cogs and rings. So how do they compare to Al and steel cogs and rings in the wear and durabillity steaks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Padre said:
Easy.
CK Alu lasted me 4 rides before popping the teeth clean off.
CK Steel lasted me 4 months before wearing out.
My Boone ti 22tooth cog lasted 13 months before giving up.

I'm sticking with Boone.....
Padre how many teeth did the CK's have?
Inquiring minds want to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
What on line bicycle shops sell the Boon Cogs? Any recomendations?

Padre said:
Easy.
CK Alu lasted me 4 rides before popping the teeth clean off.
CK Steel lasted me 4 months before wearing out.
My Boone ti 22tooth cog lasted 13 months before giving up.

I'm sticking with Boone.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Padre said:
Easy.
CK Alu lasted me 4 rides before popping the teeth clean off.
CK Steel lasted me 4 months before wearing out.
My Boone ti 22tooth cog lasted 13 months before giving up.

I'm sticking with Boone.....
I call BS. What size ring are you running? How many miles did you have on the CK steel? As for the CK Alu, an aluminnum cog is just a bad idea. I have a Shimano DX 18t cog that had over 800 miles on it before I replaced it.
 

·
giddy up!
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Suffer said:
I call BS. What size ring are you running? How many miles did you have on the CK steel? As for the CK Alu, an aluminnum cog is just a bad idea. I have a Shimano DX 18t cog that had over 800 miles on it before I replaced it.
"I call BS"?????

Why would someone lie about the durability or lack thereof in regards to a certain bicycle component?

As for the original question....I have roughly 1,500 miles on a 20t steel king and it shows next to no wear. I also have a Boone19t that has around 1,000 miles on it that shows no wear. None. I can provide pics of either if anyone wants to "call BS".

As for whether or not Boone Ti is more durable that the competition....I'd have to say yes. I have seen quite a few Boone Cogs and Chainrings with hundreds and even thousands of miles on them that show little or no wear.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
donkey said:
"I call BS"?????

Why would someone lie about the durability or lack thereof in regards to a certain bicycle component?

As for the original question....I have roughly 1,500 miles on a 20t steel king and it shows next to no wear. I also have a Boone19t that has around 1,000 miles on it that shows no wear. None. I can provide pics of either if anyone wants to "call BS".

As for whether or not Boone Ti is more durable that the competition....I'd have to say yes. I have seen quite a few Boone Cogs and Chainrings with hundreds and even thousands of miles on them that show little or no wear.

B
You just proved my point. I am not calling BS on the longivity of the Boone cog I am calling BS on the lack thereof with the CK. I just don't believe a steel CK cog wore out in 4 months. His went out at 500 miles and yours at 1500 shows little wear, some one is not telling the truth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,136 Posts
Suffer said:
You just proved my point. I am not calling BS on the longivity of the Boone cog I am calling BS on the lack thereof with the CK. I just don't believe a steel CK cog wore out in 4 months. His went out at 500 miles and yours at 1500 shows little wear, some one is not telling the truth.
OR someone is bigger/stronger and harder on their equipment! Just a thought.
 

·
giddy up!
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Suffer said:
You just proved my point. I am not calling BS on the longivity of the Boone cog I am calling BS on the lack thereof with the CK. I just don't believe a steel CK cog wore out in 4 months. His went out at 500 miles and yours at 1500 shows little wear, some one is not telling the truth.
Riiiiiight. Or one of us in 8 inches taller than the other and ~75 pounds heavier.

Padre has also broken quite a few steel frames. I can barely get a steel frame to flex under my weight. One of us must be lying.

Padre has broken Race Face cranks in short order. Mine are still going strong. Again, someone must have some hidden agenda here.

I could go on like this all day.

B
 

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
Suffer said:
an aluminnum cog is just a bad idea
Not all Aluminum cogs are equal. I have run King aluminum cogs and wore them out in a couple of months, Steel King cogs and wore them out in a half season. This year I have ridden on 2 different Endless aluminum cogs and can't tell they have worn at all of course I am running big cogs and rings these days.
Id love to get a Boone cog, maybe next year.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top