Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some recommendations for books on proper nutrition for endurance racing. I did my first 24H race (4-person team) and I had not clue what I was doing. We were just doing it for fun and (I and a couple others) hadn't really trained at all, but I had one really good lap under an hour and another right around an hour and the rest were kinda crappy.

Gu and Cytomax messed up my stomach and only with the help of $20 worth (for the team) of late night Double Cheeseburgers did I stay fueled without feeling like I was going to puke or take a huge dump. :thumbsup:

I'm just looking for a good book to break down the requirements (simple vs. complex sugars, how much I should be eating, blah, blah, etc) because I don't have time to search through all the posts here.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Chris Carmichael's "Food for Fitness" is a good reference. And read any of the information available for Ironman triathlons. There are a lot of good nutritional strategies that triathletes have developed.

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
www.amazon.com for Edmund Burke. I don't remember the titles but the man was perhaps the pre-eminent cycling scientist...he was a roadie but what he writes about long-distance road rides is applicable to long distance MTB rides too.

rant: a lot of writers, like Friel and Carmichael, have popularized a lot of conventional wisdom and folklore. But it seems to me that a lot of their stuff, while not necessarily wrong, isn't based on scientific fact.

Sadly, Burke was killed by a car a few years ago while riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.