Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is me. I'm a noob, newbie, Joey doesnt matter what I am in the community I'm just a fat old dude getting back on bike trails on my first bike (Trek Xcal 9) since my BMX racing days. Which was in the 80's. I enjoy riding a lot. I haven't had this much fun in years.

Anyway, I have learned that one thing I need to know how to do is make shifting adjustments on the trails. Anyone recommend any books/media for a newbie on the anatomy of a mountain bike and how to make adjustments to the derailleurs.

I figure if I am going to be out on the damn bike I better learn how to do at least some maintenance. These bikes are a lot higher tech than the ones I use to ride back in the day.

Thanks for your time and input.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Big Blue Book from Park Tools is a very good reference:
Park Tool Co. » BBB-3 : Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair ? 3rd Edition : Books

Even more helpful though (in my opinion) are the many videos available for free online through Youtube or other video sites. You can find a tutorial on nearly any maintenance or adjustment procedure and the video format is easier to learn from than reading it from the printed page, at least for me.

EDIT: Just noticed this also available on the Park Tools site:
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.