Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
There have been a couple of threads (mine included) concerning the size disparity between some of the XRs. How wide are we talking here for the Specialized.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AteMrYeats said:
There have been a couple of threads (mine included) concerning the size disparity between some of the XRs. How wide are we talking here for the Specialized.
The specs for both are on my tire site (how many times have I mentioned that this week?)

The Bontragers are new and came directly from Bontrager. I never measure any earlier production tires.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Enoch said:
The Bonty looks like it would be a fast roller. :) Steppd tread and shallow. Nice hard pack tire.
No step on the leading edge of the blocks. Deep enough to work in softer conditions, too.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Thanks for the Specs Shiggy. It would be nice for us 29" nutcases to have a special 29" list on your site, now that the number of options is all pretty much recent and managable?
Looks like the XR's you got are similar to the tires I have, pretty big indeed. Strange how then reports are surfacing of 5mm narrower XR's...
BTW, you got really lucky with your front XR, or I got unlucky. I want your, and do my weight saving trick on it :-(

I think I'm going to email whomever I know at Trek/Fisher/Bontrager to ask them to consider an XR Race 29" tire. Taking everthing as on the current XR's, but using only some 50% of the vertical scale on the rolling knobs, and 75% on the side ones. when I cut down my XR's, they still remained quite rideable, while all I had left were some flat low patches of rubber where once were nicely stepped and shaped knobs. This change in tread should totally speed up the rolling resistance, and bring down weight by some 40g per tire. The volume of the tire is for a good part what makes it so good on my trails, even with violated tread.

·
no fat chicks
774 Posts
threesixeight said:
great pics, i have been looking forward to the specialized
indeed
the specialized tire is going to revolutionize the bicycle riding experience
i can tell just by looking at it on the internet

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Serious Humour said:
Sorry to be really dim and ask a question that may be obvious to the pros, but which is which in the pics?
The one on the left is the 26" and the one on the right is the 29" ;)

Could not resist. I did update the first post for clarity.

·
Brakes?
152 Posts
I know nobody asked

The Bonty's are the best performing tire I've ridden. Yes this is my opinion.

They roll well, hook up great on climbs, great cornering traction, and to top it off they are fairly compliant vertically. Noticable difference on my rigid ride.

I have three small tears in the sidewall on the rear tire, I've patched them and continue to ride it.

Other 29r tires I've ridden are: Mutano's, Moto's, and Nano's.

·
Klydesdale
305 Posts
Enoch said:
The Bonty site has MSRP listed at $ 29.99. I like that also ;)
I just had my favorite LBS order me a set of the 2.25/2.20 Jones XR tires. I was pleasantly surprise to find their retail price was $28.00 each.

·
bike dork extraordinaire
628 Posts
pimp-daddy said:

They roll well, hook up great on climbs, great cornering traction, and to top it off they are fairly compliant vertically. Noticable difference on my rigid ride.

I have three small tears in the sidewall on the rear tire, I've patched them and continue to ride it.

Agreed. Especially the front tire. I'm running an XR front on my 293, with the stock AcX in the back.

I ride mostly dry, hard packed trails in the SF Bay Area, and the XRs are faster and lighter than Exi's, which are overkill in this terrain, and plusher than the Nano, Mythos, or Ignitor, which is key for a front tire. I haven't tried the new FastTrac, which looks to be similar to the XR in design and purpose, but so far the XR is the best 29" front tire for my neck of the woods.

·
Professional Hobbyist
166 Posts
Ignitor

Shiggy,

How does the Maxxis Ignitor compare in volume and width to the fast track and XR. The Ignitor 29" is not listed on your website but they looked large for their stated size when I saw them mounted.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
pimp-daddy said:

The Bonty is great for going fast; uphill. Not as confidence inspiring on the DH as the Exi.
To me, the nod goes also to the Exi though for cush and durability at low pressures.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am looking forward to putting some trail miles on the XRs this weekend.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts