Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've gone and ordered a rig - should be here next week. Of course, now I'm already starting to think of what mods might be needed. Saddle, bars and grips are a given, but I'm wondering what potential there might be for running two rings up front and an extra cog out the back for a 'getting to the trail' gear.

So what is the width of the carrier on the bonty hubs? Any chance of removing a spoacer and getting another cog on there? What would the chainline be like with a double up the front?

Any advice appreciated - as long as it's not "a singlespeed's a bike with one gear, why do you want another?".

Thanks,

Sam

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Congrats Kolo! Looking forward to seeing your contribution to the Pimp My Rig thread :)

Dingles intrigue me, but I've never done it.
Could it be possible to choose such gears and chain tension that you don't have to even remove the rear wheel to "shift"? I wonder if chaintension could be good for both gears, and still be shiftable without rear wheel removal.
On my Banshee (horizontal drops and set screw), I can (just) put the SRAM gearie chain on the front ring without touching the rear wheel. I love the 38-16 gear for gettng to the track, but in races my gearing is too long. Hmmm, this thread might inspire me to fix that, and not suffer on the 11mi ride to the track...

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You'll have to adjust the EBB everytime you want to change chainrings, and you won't be able to run a 44/32 split... probably more like a 42/38, due to the length of the chain.

brewdog said:
I'm running a CK cog and 5mm spacer. What's a CK Kog, 5mm? If you run flat cogs, I don't see a problem getting away with two.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the plan is to go with the standard 32-18 as a dirt gear - which is 51.4inches, and then have a 34-16 as a gettin there gear - which is 61.5 inches, not exactly huge but not quite so twiddly as a 51". According to the magic gear calculator, that should only mean a 0.34mm difference in chainstay length, which I'm hoping will be workable to run the road gear a bit slacker, and the dirt gear a bit tighter-and not have to move the ebb.

Thanks guys,

Sam

PS - cloxx, besides some funky gearing, it's probably not going to be exactly pimped - pretty much stock to start with actually, so I may just have to start my own thread :)

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Kolo said:
So what is the width of the carrier on the bonty hubs? Any chance of removing a spoacer and getting another cog on there?
Sam
FWIW, I put 3 cogs plus two spacers from an Ultegra cassette on my Bonty SS hub this weekend. Leaves just enough room for the lockring. 34 up front, and 23-21-15 in back. That gives me a good SS gear, a slightly easier bailout gear, and a road/flats gear, controlled by a Thumbie and an XTR med cage derailer. More to come on this later (with pics), once my ENO cranks arrive in the mail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.