Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Team Velveeta™
3,080 Posts
wimpy sidewalls...

Baldone said:
What exactly makes the Bonty Jones tire a lesser rear tire, than other choices?
...too wimpy for a rear, and on the wimpy side for any tire that is run in the rocks, IMO.

I really do like the Jones as a front tire, great tread pattern and nice and supple. But I cut the sidewall on the one I'm running currently on maybe the third ride. I booted it, and it's doing OK with the boot, but it's too vulnerable. Any tire can suffer a sidewall cut, but those Jones sidewalls seem to be constructed from plastic wrap coated with black spray paint.

The tire pattern is a little iffy for a rear because there isn't even the hint of a center rib. But I'd give it a try on the back if the casing was beefier.

If you ride in a world where there aren't many sharp rock edges, I think the Jones is a fantastic tire. But that just isn't true in my world.

I also prefer a tire that comes with the option of wire bead, because I'm a tightwad. If they would make a who-cares-about-weight version with a wire bead, I'd stick with it until a better front tire comes out. But as it is, I'll probably go to motoraptors front and rear whenever I discard my current Bonty.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
team_bfd said:
...too wimpy for a rear, and on the wimpy side for any tire that is run in the rocks, IMO.

I really do like the Jones as a front tire, great tread pattern and nice and supple. But I cut the sidewall on the one I'm running currently on maybe the third ride. I booted it, and it's doing OK with the boot, but it's too vulnerable. Any tire can suffer a sidewall cut, but those Jones sidewalls seem to be constructed from plastic wrap coated with black spray paint.

The tire pattern is a little iffy for a rear because there isn't even the hint of a center rib. But I'd give it a try on the back if the casing was beefier.

If you ride in a world where there aren't many sharp rock edges, I think the Jones is a fantastic tire. But that just isn't true in my world.

I also prefer a tire that comes with the option of wire bead, because I'm a tightwad. If they would make a who-cares-about-weight version with a wire bead, I'd stick with it until a better front tire comes out. But as it is, I'll probably go to motoraptors front and rear whenever I discard my current Bonty.
Cloxxki listed them in the FAQ as good for rocky terain, Cloxxki what kind of terrain do you guys have over there?

· Registered
50 Posts
I agree with team_bfd on this one. I'm on my second set of Bontis (front and rear), and will get maybe 250 miles out of these. Got about 250 miles out of the last pair.

These are a nice light tire that would work well in non-rocky conditions without much mud.

The tread on the rear wears down quickly, seems to be a softer compound (no I do not skid!). The sidewalls are the biggest weakness. Cut both the front and rear tires originally, didn't notice until I checked my bike out afrter a ride one day and see innertube bulging out of a 3/4 inch cut. I do mostly 'cross country' riding, a lot of fireroads and rock strewn single track.

The second set I have installed now has a small cut in the rear already, I'll boot it and hopefully can get me a few more weeks of wear.

I ride in the northeast (central PA) and there are a lot of sharp rocky tombstone ridden trails.

Any suggestions on a more durable tire? Best tire I ever had was the Specialized black max gumwall, ran them on my c-dale 24/26, bulletproof (heavy as sin though).

· Team Velveeta™
3,080 Posts
perform fine, but vulnerable

Baldone said:
Cloxxki listed them in the FAQ as good for rocky terain, Cloxxki what kind of terrain do you guys have over there?
I don't mean to speak for Cloxxki, I'm sure he'll reply in his time. But he is a racer. The perspective I hear from him is a racer's perspective.

Racers generally don't care much about durability, or at least care more about what gets you around the corner or up the hill faster. How light is it? How grippy is it when brand-new?

That's what a racer thinks about. I race every once in a while, but sponsors don't buy my tires. I'd rather have a tough, decent-performing tire than a wimpy, slightly-better-performing tire. And I don't like being forced to buy a Kevlar version.

I think the Jones perfoms great. It's a wonderful tire. I'm actually quite sad to have concluded that they are too wimpy for robust reliability when there are sharp rocks about.

So I'd agree that it's good for rocky terrain. But I choose a tire that is tougher, even if it performs less optimally. 'Cuz I don't like walking home.

My $.02

· Registered
138 Posts
light has a price

the tires work amazingly well here in the rocky East...the only thing is that the side walls are a bit thin. The tread pattern sheds mud quickly, the knobs hold the grip on rocks (wet or dry), and the tire's air volume is well worth the cost of wearing out side walls. Bontrager set outo make a LIGHT RACE tire for the 29" wheel to give another choice, just imagine if no one ever raised the bar- heavy tires would be the norm 'cause there was no reason to put energy into research and dev. So, no they are not the best tires in the world and the side walls are a little thin, but they are light and ride better than 90% of the 29 tires I've gotten my grubbing hands on. Oh, look for my reviews of tires in the next DIRTRAG....I'll shut up and go home now. Eric.

· Team Velveeta™
3,080 Posts
MotoRaptor - wire bead

bearmeadowbomber said:
Any suggestions on a more durable tire? Best tire I ever had was the Specialized black max gumwall, ran them on my c-dale 24/26, bulletproof (heavy as sin though).
I run the Motos rear, and they really hold up. I do lots of pavement climbing, and as many long, rocky descents as I can get.

My current front Jones is already getting a little chewed, after only a couple weeks. That supple rubber does make it perform well! But it doesn't hold up. My current back tire Moto has been on for about 500 miles. It's showing some wear, but I think it's fine for another 500 or more.

My current rear moto is the third one I've owned. Never had a sidewall problem with one of those. I have no experience with the Kevlar-beaded ones.

· Registered
1,531 Posts
In rocky terrain (Phoenix, AZ) the Bontrager works great until about after 10 rides and you realize that the tire has worn out waaay too quickly. Not as quickly as a Kenda Klaw, but too fast for my taste! I like using WTB Motoraptors (especially on the rear). The Bontrager works well as a front, and I use it mainly because its a hair larger than the Moto.

According to WTB, the new products are due in October.

· Registered
33 Posts
Er they seem like a really nice cushy tyre the big problem i have with them is that they really don't seem to like soft wet caly mud whith a slop like consistency, which tends to make them slide also, in clay they tend not to clear that well either.

They do grip well on rocks and so far seem to be standing up well.

It's just a shame they tend to clog badly in clay, in loam they seem to be more than happy, they really don't like tree roots at speed though as I found out last weekend.

I

· Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Baldone said:
What exactly makes the Bonty Jones tire a lesser rear tire, than other choices?
Here is a tire weight approximation for some of the two niner options - just to compare:

InterWolf Comp weighs 420 grams per tire. (Inflates to about 1.5")
Mutano Raptor weighs 540 grams per tire. (Inflates to about 1.75")
Bontrager ACX weighs 570 grams per tire.
Conti Vapor weighs 590 grams per tire. (Inflates to about a 1.8")
Nano Raptor weighs 600 grams per tire.
Moto Raptor weighs 640 grams per tire.
Notos XC weighs 665 grams per tire.
Kenda Klaw weighs 680 grams per tire.
Mythos XC II weighs 690 grams per tire.
Schwalbe Big Apple 2.00" weighs 835 grams per tire.
Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35" weighs 935 grams per tire.

Bonty ACX is the lightest big meat tire currently available at 570 grams and is a fast roller. You save a 1/5th to a 1/4 pound of rotating weight over some of the heavier tires, but as others have pointed out - it's a "softer" tire with durability issues based on what type of surface and terrain one faces. I use it front and rear as a set.

I face a lot of mud due to annual rainfall and wanted a tire that could shed quite well. The Bonty's have been champs for me on surfaces where I had to use Continental Survival Pro's on my 26" ride just to keep moving up the hills. I do not ride on pavement with these tires and oodles of sharp rocks are not part of the XC experience where I live. So, for me, the tire performs very well and durability issues are not a problem. I am approaching one year of offroad use on my front tire and see little tread wear - probably due to the surfaces I encounter on my rides. I did ruin the kevlar bead of my first rear Bonty because I turned it inside out too many times trying to hunt down some hard to see thorns. I broke the dang bead in one spot and learned a lesson that cost me $40 for a replacement. I pretty much removed the benefits of my rear tire being light weight because I now run a Bontrager Slime tube in the rear due to the thorns I encounter. I haven't had a flat using this combination. The front is run with a WTB tube and has been problem free in terms of thorns.

If considering the Bonty as a rear, factor in the type of surfaces you ride on when making a decision as well as what type of a rider you are. On dirt, gravel, roots, singletrack without too many rocks and mud - I have found it to be a high quality tire for my purposes. It reminds me a little bit of the hook up and feel of Panaracer XC Fire Pro's - only the Bonty's are much better in mud than those tires were due to the wider knob spacing.

BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.