Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking my '17 Fuel EX (29") across the ocean to Canada's North Shore for two weeks of riding in August and will keep riding occasionally until December.

Now I am debating what tires will be best for the shore. I like Bonty's for their price, quality, and availability.

I am doubting between XR3 2.4 rear + XR4 2.4 front OR XR3/4 2.4 rear + XR5 2.6 front

Hope to hear from North Shore riders who have ridden these tires... :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Unless you are planning on xc racing I would opt for the SE lineup from Bontrager out here. There are lots of rocks and you'll appreciate the extra sidewall strength. 29x2.4 SE4's front and back will treat you quite well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been on the XR3 2.4 rear/ XR5 2.6 front combo this Spring in CO front range-varied terrain, technical, lots of climbs w/ with rocks, sketch, etc. and like them a lot. Riding a 2018 FEX 9.8 with Line Pro's, xl frame/210 lbs., apx. 22lb both, tire pressure. Were a little squirmy at 18lbs. and my weight. I am really pleased with this combo.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I thought of the SE variants. I usually go much harder on my rear tire.
Now I am settling on the XR5 2.6 front and the SE3 2.4 rear. However, the 3-series just underwent a design change. I cannot source the SE3 in Europe so am stuck with the XR3. I imagine the SE4 is quite draggy in the rear.

I also find running a series difference of 2 front/ rear works well. Currently on XR3 / XR1 here in the Netherlands.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I'm on an older xr3, and it's a fast tire. It's on the light end of "trail" if not just flat out an xc tire.

I'm not disappointed in it at all, but it's light duty. I was planning some bigger, rockier rides this summer, and it's going to require a tire change.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
XR3 Team is redesigned for 2019 Spring and reviewed as more aggressive and all mountain than older version. It's the one I have, but SE's sound good too.
The new XR3 is a race-ready XC tire that is ready to rip," said Trek's Director of Product for Wheels and Tires Graham Wilhelm
They wanted to keep it pretty xc focused. Definitely not an aggressive or AM style tire.

I'm sure it's a great tire, its just pretty mild. Im starting to wish I just went with the xr4, even out back.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been riding a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 with 2.6 XR4s for about the last year and half on the North Shore. I have no complaints about the durability at all. As far as handling and the like, I'm not as discerning as some people here, so I'll leave that to others. I've ridden a lot of rocky trails with no sidewall cuts at all. I ride a lot blacks, some blues and the occasional double black on that bike, and the tires have been great so far. That said, I'm not as fast as some guys, so your mileage may vary. I'd buy them again!

This was the other night on Seymour....

Natural environment Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Forest Bicycle

·
Registered
204 Posts
I never have slashed an Xr4, but the sidewall support is crap. At 31 psi rear I keep
Getting rim strikes bad. I love the tire and suppose the se version would be much better for a read

·
Registered
398 Posts
I use the XR(5) casing up front in 2.6 psi... At my weight (150 lbs) it just feels impossible to make contact with the rim even at 15-16psi. they are voluminous, and I like the suppleness up front. To me it's a large friendly version of a minion.

In the rear I use SE(4) casings in 2.4. I have slashed a sidewall but overall I like the support in the narrower tire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.