Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy there, I have been a maxxis Ikon fan for awhile, but after lots of good reading on Bontrager I am thinking of giving them a try. Maxxis EXO casings do great for me, how does your guys new XR3's hold up? I understand they released new tires maybe it's too soon to ask. I ride currently 29x2.35 rigid would do 2.2 or 2.4 width. Thanks

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I ran the old XR3 when my Ikon's got too many sidewall tears. I have many thousand miles on XR3 and then XR2 and they hold up great. I have no miles on the new XR3, but if they are the XR2 with some extra side knobs (which is what they look like) they do well. I consider the XR2 / XR3 to be more durable for puncture resistance and just as durable for tread life as compared to Ikons. I have run in them in 2.2, 2.35 and 2.6

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Flat Tire bike shop in Cave Creek has them. Great Shop.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Howdy there, I have been a maxxis Ikon fan for awhile, but after lots of good reading on Bontrager I am thinking of giving them a try. Maxxis EXO casings do great for me, how does your guys new XR3's hold up? I understand they released new tires maybe it's too soon to ask. I ride currently 29x2.35 rigid would do 2.2 or 2.4 width. Thanks
I also love and run Ikons, and have for years, and many thousands of miles. That said, I've run XR2 2.35, 2.20 and 2.6's with great success, and think highly of them. I am considering putting some XR3's on one of my bikes, not sure which one. TWJ, as you know, is next door to Hawes, and has them in stock. Plus, Bontrager has a 30-day replacement/exchange policy if you don't like them. Go for it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have some recent Maxxis Exo->Bontrager XR experience. I first put an XR2 (2.35) in the rear after one too many sidewall cuts in Exo Rekon Races and Aspens (thanks for the suggestion at Flag AES Joe P).

Was happy with that so decided to try replacing my standard Ikon front with a new XR3 (2.4). I haven't put too many miles on it yet, but here are some thoughts:

Performance-wise pretty pleased, though my Ikon that came off was shagged so difficult comparison. Carcass is tiny, if XR2 is a true 2.35, the XR3 is ~2.25. Mine had some weird knob cracking upon airing up, but no performance issues and knobs haven't torn off like I feared they might. Relative to Exo I seem to have had better luck as far as cuts and punctures go.

Overall, definitely happy with the rear, will likely will do another Ikon up front to close the loop. I'd say worth giving a shot and seeing how you like it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Maxxis Rekon as well, available in 2.4 60TPI Dual Compound EXO. It's a like a more aggressive Ikon and the DC EXO should make it hold up well. I don't have experience in that size but have ran a 2.6 rear on my 27.5 and have them front and rear on my Chameleon 27.5+ 2.8. They roll fast and give good grip in the corners with decent braking. They're a good cross between XC and Trail.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
XR3's have served me very well. They seat up easily tubeless, and are pretty durable in the sidewalls and tread. I've been riding Bonti tires for a while and hope they don't change. Huge fan.

·
DFMBA.org
1,933 Posts
XR3's have served me very well. They seat up easily tubeless, and are pretty durable in the sidewalls and tread. I've been riding Bonti tires for a while and hope they don't change. Huge fan.
∆∆ This ∆∆. Ran an XR3 2.3 front on my Jet9C and it wore really well. Love Bonty rubber.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any additional thoughts on this tire? I put one on my Fuel EX right after christmas...popped the sidewall at Estrella Comp Loop a week or so later. Put another new XR3 on and tore a sidewall today at Apache Wash on Ocotillo.

Bad luck on my part or is anyone else experiencing this? I'd torn a sidewall on an XR2 in the past but the old XR3's, I never had a problem with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.