Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve searched high and low however I can’t find any info on how the Bontrager stacks up to other tires rolling Resistance. I have the XR3/XR2 combo on my Top Fuel now and love the durability/grip. Looking for some comparisons or knowledge to make sure I’m not giving up too many watts.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I've searched high and low however I can't find any info on how the Bontrager stacks up to other tires rolling Resistance. I have the XR3/XR2 combo on my Top Fuel now and love the durability/grip. Looking for some comparisons or knowledge to make sure I'm not giving up too many watts.
Never seen any myself. The XR2 is a pretty fast tire. I love it for dry conditions. Damp or wet, not so much.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Check the august issue of the german bike magazine. They have most x country tires reviewed, including rolling resistance, puncture, pinch flat etc.

https://www.bike-magazin.de/magazin_abo.html

If I remember well, the xr3/xr2 combo scored above average. Xr3 best front tire, Kenda booster pro best rear tire, xr2 second place.
Man, not those guys again! Their app is super annoying. Good info, but a pita. I guess I'll fall on my sword again. Here goes....

...and they include these mickey mouse brands like Onza and E13 but leave out Vittoria. LAME. I want a refund.

That's also the OLD XR3 they tested.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which is the better combo, XR4 front and Xr3 rear? Or XR3 front and rear?
A few months ago I bought a 2.6 XR4 front, and 2.4 XR3 (old version) back. The setup had more than enough grip for the hardpack/rocky/dusty/twisty riding I do in Central Texas. After several rides I decided to get the new version of the 2.4 XR3 and try it on the front as I was feeling the weight of the 2.6 XR4 and thought it was probably a bit too much for my style and conditions.

The new XR3 doesn't have as much volume as the old XR3, looks puny compared to the 2.6 XR4, and just looks much more XC than trail. I was thinking I'd made a mistake and probably should've gone with the 2.4 XR4. But, with their 30 day return policy, figured I'd give it a few rides before I decided. After a couple of rides, I'm sold on the new XR3...it is much lighter and faster rolling feeling than the XR4, doesn't give up much grip on my trails, and allows me to more accurately pick my lines. So, I'll keep the XR4 for trips to more exciting trails, but I'll be sticking with the XR3 for my local trails. Seems like a perfect combo of fast rolling and good grip for me.

·
monster member
1,186 Posts
... if you're riding hardpack, it doesn't matter too much.
Agreed. While my new bike is in the shop, took the old backup bike out two times with it's 2.2 XR2 on the back and had a great time on it. And the old 17mm ID rims aren't tubeless so had 30 psi in them. Climbed dry roots fine, handled fine in the hardpack, no torn knobs from barreling over rocky sections, and it felt FAST.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A few months ago I bought a 2.6 XR4 front, and 2.4 XR3 (old version) back. The setup had more than enough grip for the hardpack/rocky/dusty/twisty riding I do in Central Texas. After several rides I decided to get the new version of the 2.4 XR3 and try it on the front as I was feeling the weight of the 2.6 XR4 and thought it was probably a bit too much for my style and conditions.

The new XR3 doesn't have as much volume as the old XR3, looks puny compared to the 2.6 XR4, and just looks much more XC than trail. I was thinking I'd made a mistake and probably should've gone with the 2.4 XR4. But, with their 30 day return policy, figured I'd give it a few rides before I decided. After a couple of rides, I'm sold on the new XR3...it is much lighter and faster rolling feeling than the XR4, doesn't give up much grip on my trails, and allows me to more accurately pick my lines. So, I'll keep the XR4 for trips to more exciting trails, but I'll be sticking with the XR3 for my local trails. Seems like a perfect combo of fast rolling and good grip for me.
That sounds promising. This year I'm hoping Trek releases:

27.5 x 2.6 SE3, ~920 grams
29 x 2.4 SE3, ~830 grams
29 x 2.4 XR5- been using a 2.6 XR5 up front and it's too balloon like and doesn't knife into loose terrain

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.