Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
G-Live said:
Anyone have anything on the Bontrager XR1 tires? Look to be nice and light. Kind of a Kenda Small block 7 instead of 8 look to them. Bet they'll be fast.

http://bontrager.com/model/07798/en

G
Those are on my radar for 2009 - especially as a rear tire and for the 510g weight of the more expensive team issue version. Not the tire for large volume tire seekers, but certainly in the XR 1.8, Crow, Kenda 1.9, Raven, Python, Vulpine volume category. Then again, there is the upcoming Furious Fred.....

BB

·
Banned
822 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Those are on my radar for 2009 - especially as a rear tire and for the 510g weight of the more expensive team issue version. Not the tire for large volume tire seekers, but certainly in the XR 1.8, Crow, Kenda 1.9, Raven, Python, Vulpine volume category. Then again, there is the upcoming Furious Fred.....

BB
If they could make the FF in a slightly heavier, Race Guard version, I'd be all over that tire for the rear end.

335g for a 2.0 29er tire is bordering on insane. I'd be scared to run a tire that thin (the actual material/rubber) on anything other than a pea gravel trail.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
duke of kent said:
If they could make the FF in a slightly heavier, Race Guard version, I'd be all over that tire for the rear end.

335g for a 2.0 29er tire is bordering on insane. I'd be scared to run a tire that thin (the actual material/rubber) on anything other than a pea gravel trail.
Sure, but the reality that taking the risk on a light tire that will cost more than a brand new all-season tire for my car worthy of 50,000 miles makes it such a fun purchase.:madman:

But, Schwalbe has certainly not shrouding the thinness in secrecy by saying:

Warning! To anyone who wants everything. Furious Fred is the fastest MTB tire - Ever! But be aware: It is not an allrounder. Grip is limited and risk of puncturing is high.

Let's see if that is the final weight or not. My Crows weigh around 460g each are just a little bit of a hair under being 2.0.

BB

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Sure, but the reality that taking the risk on a light tire that will cost more than a brand new all-season tire for my car worthy of 50,000 miles makes it such a fun purchase.:madman:

But, Schwalbe has certainly not shrouding the thinness in secrecy by saying:

Warning! To anyone who wants everything. Furious Fred is the fastest MTB tire - Ever! But be aware: It is not an allrounder. Grip is limited and risk of puncturing is high.

Let's see if that is the final weight or not. My Crows weigh around 460g each are just a little bit of a hair under being 2.0.

BB
And oddly enough, they are saying the same thing about this Bontrager tire. While it was in developement, the Bontrager engineers were telling me that the race team said that they didn't care if the tire only lasted one race. :eek:

Sorry, but I'm not into racing, or that level of "commitment" when it comes to gear. ;)

At least not that sort of XC-geekness. :D

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
And oddly enough, they are saying the same thing about this Bontrager tire. While it was in developement, the Bontrager engineers were telling me that the race team said that they didn't care if the tire only lasted one race. :eek:

Sorry, but I'm not into racing, or that level of "commitment" when it comes to gear. ;)

At least not that sort of XC-geekness. :D
I hear you. If I can't run a tire a season or two or three or maybe even four - I don't want it. At least with the Crows - there isn't any tread to wear down, so I don't know if they are getting old or not.....:D :D :D :D

The only way I wear out a tire is blowing the bead off while inflating during my tubeless conversion.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: One Nano and one XR down the drain to date.

BB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.