Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
i weigh 200lbs. little drops up to 3' are no problem.

i would recommend tubeless setup and about 1,8-2 bar pressure. this will give you besides better rolling resistance and traction also some additional damping and keep the wheels safe ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
250 lbs +/- on a JET with Bonnie Race X's. Only one issue where I potato chipped the front wheel on a slow down hill off camber turn. Great service / warranty between my LBS and the mfg. No questions asked - new wheel in a few days and a loaner while I waited. No other issues with the wheels

·
Registered
74 Posts
the mavics are absolute noodles. i havent ridden the bonty's but i did ride the mavic's on my friends bike, he just sold them because they were way too soft for him--he is 160lbs. I weigh 220# and built up 2 wheelsets, which IMHO is the best way to go. Sell whatever you get on the bike and build up a 3x 32 spoke wheel. it will be much more durable and compliant while still being around the same weight

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Wish I Were Riding said:
Nobody (including heavy guys) having a problem with only 28 spokes?
Well, I'll tell you that both the Mavics and Bontragers flex for this heavy guy, (240lbs), but the Mavics flex in a way that can be unnerving. The wheelsets, (both of mine) are still doing very well, thank you, after almost two years on each.

That said, I bought another set of TLR Race X Lites the other day, so that should tell you something. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Well, I'll tell you that both the Mavics and Bontragers flex for this heavy guy, (240lbs), but the Mavics flex in a way that can be unnerving.
twentynineinches.com said the same thing. i think hes a pretty big guy to and he said the mavics would flex randomly and the bontragers were a tiny bit flexy all the time. overall he said the bontragers between the two

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have never rode a set of CrossMax.but the RXL are great wheels.
I weigh 200ish and have had several sets of 28 hole wheels. They do get a bit flexy when built with Supercomps, but still doable and not scary. 14/15 all day long. I actually have a running joke with my friends about my 32 hole wheels...All Mountain!
I do turn over equipment on a pretty regular schedule, so I haven't had to test the long term durability much.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have Bontys and the rear wheel started popping spokes after a full season of racing. I replaced the spokes with slightly heavier ones and laced them 3x. It really seames to have helped but I am really in love with the bomprood feel of my 36 spoke XT/TN719 rims.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
Well, I'll tell you that both the Mavics and Bontragers flex for this heavy guy, (240lbs), but the Mavics flex in a way that can be unnerving.

twentynineinches.com said the same thing. i think hes a pretty big guy to and he said the mavics would flex randomly and the bontragers were a tiny bit flexy all the time. overall he said the bontragers between the two

Duuuuude! Please!

Don't go cloning me now. :D :p

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
shocktch45 said:
Guitar Ted is twentynineinches.com

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had great luck with Crossmax 26" wheels with durability and stiffness even with the low spoke count.

When I got my first 29er about 3 or 4 years ago (Karate Monkey), I started with Speed City wheels which were scary flexy. My second set of wheels were Chris King hubs with Bonty Maverick rims which made a huge difference. The 32 spoke count really made a huge difference. Later I had DT 240s with Mustang rims (32 count) and ultimately I ended up with a set of I-9 wheels that I bought from a local shop used. The I-9s were my favorite because they were so much stiffer and lighter than anything I had tried to that point. I literally felt that I was at no disadvantage at all to a 26" wheel when it came to winding them up to speed. Obviously I loved them.

If money were no object I would just buy the bike as is and order a set of I-9s with Arch rims. I think I'm way too heavy for 355s from what I've heard.

Anyway, I write all of this getting back to my original point. I'm scared of both wheels because of their low spoke count and my bad experience with a low spoke count wheels. The fact that the Crossmax flex has never been an issue on a 26" bike even with the low spoke count leads me to think the 29" version may give the same results but I know 29" wheels are a whole different ball game especially when it comes to wheels.

The Bontys look great and I think the wider rim idea is a good one. I have a friend who has some of the new 26" version of these wheels and is sold on the wider rim and the difference it makes in the contact area for the tires. That being said, the VERY SMALL spokes on Bontys scare me a little. I would feel a lot better about them if the spoke were bigger, if they were 32 count, if tey were 3 cross or all of the above.

I owned a set of Race lite 26" wheels in the past and replaced them with 26" Crossmax STs and experienced WAY more lateral stiffness. I know things improve and just because this was the case with 26" wheels doesn't mean it would be the same with 29" wheels. I'm obviously torn here but I am hearing way more votes for the Bontys than the X-max.

Like I said before, if money were no object, I'd just buy the bike and a set of I-9s to go with it. Unfortunately, money is an object and buying the bike alone is really more than I should be spending right now but my local shop is having a really good Chrismas sale right now so I feel obligated to do my part in stimulating the economy.....

On a side note, after owning 29ers three or so years ago and converting back to a 26" wheels wheels since, the reasons for looking at a 29er again are ;

1- the fact that I really never had neck pain on a 29er,
2- After spending more time on a road bike than ever the past year I have a hard time getting past the movement a full suspension bike has no matter how good the design. I had reach the conclusion when I rode 29ers in the past that if on a hardtail a 29er for me was really the only way to go. (I know there are some really good designs out now that weren't available back then, especially the Jet-9).
3- The lack of endoness (how you like that word?) that 29ers provide.
4- The 29ers always felt proportionally"right" compared to 26" bikes even though I'm only 6'-0" tall. I do have a 34.6" inseam though and have always favored the same layout of a bike as my 6'-3" friend.
5- My riding lifestyle now includes more rides with the wife and kid which are usually on fire roads, rail to trails and greenways where a hardtail is a better choice than a 'cross bike since I can use this for both family and Mt. bike rides.

Sorry to ramble, it's a rainy Sunday morning here.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Well....

Mavic hubs are cheap plastic toys. If you plan on looking at your bike more than riding it they could work out OK.

The TLR tire-rim interface that Bonti makes is top notch.

If the Bonti wheels have nice hubs go that route. Ride'm till the rims die and then build them up with Bonti Mustang OSB TLR rims. IMO, the best 29" rim going.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.