Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my Bontrager down Noble Canyon in San Diego today. it's the first time i've attempted it with a hard tail. that Bonty kicked a$$! it cleared all of the obsticles and swallowed up 11 full suspension rigs without ever being passed! i had no part of it, it was all the bikes doing ;)

so, has anybody else noticed that Bontragers fly???? i mean, when i take a hit or jump the bike flys about twice as high and far as i expect it to. i can sometimes miss my turn because i'm in the air too long. it still catches me by surprise. today i got higher and went further off of a water bar than i've done in years and i wasn't even trying. all my other bikes including full suspension bikes dont even come close. are the tubes fille with helium? i love it!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
You must be proportioned perfectly for that thing. I noticed something different when I'd point skyward on a bonty. Every time I'd leave terra firma, I'd immediately begin to nose down in midair. Scared the hell out of me. I think being comfortable in midair is entirely down to how well you fit your machine.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumpfy said:
I've seen you ride, so I belive you when you say it's the bike. ;)

Love that color for the Bonty with the orig. blue panel decals.

What cranks are you running there?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, the little 15" frame with long post, high bars, and short top tube must have the magic geometry. i'm afraid to move or adjust anything incase it all goes away.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
flyingsuperpetis said:
You must be proportioned perfectly for that thing. I noticed something different when I'd point skyward on a bonty. Every time I'd leave terra firma, I'd immediately begin to nose down in midair. Scared the hell out of me. I think being comfortable in midair is entirely down to how well you fit your machine.
Glad you liked it Vdub! I have to agree with FSP though. I love Bontys but I find that they nose-dive when airborn.

Very cool that you kept your elbows out so that the full-sussers couldn't pass. ;)

·
artistic...
7,622 Posts
i'll be blunt and harsh now:

the build you did on this frame is atrocious.. and yet i love it. the cranks are .. a low deore? a gold king hs on a lime green frame w/a royal blue forks? a race face riser on a classic bontrager steel stem? not to mention the frame is undersized, the ust mavic wheels and pewter xtr v brakes. that's it: it flies cause it'sa freak. can i have it?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Or even more scary are those "pedals". :)
actually those are just pedals i had on it for a test ride. today i was sportin Speedplay Frogs. of coarse. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
still, i'm scared to change anything on it :)

this build is 100% of the all the parts i had on a Privateer i picked up a while ago. i simply switched the parts over. i didn't even need to change or remove any cables. it's really nice when it works out that nice. actually, it never works out that nice. one of these days i'll find a blue king headset for cheap (hint,hint) and possibly a blue Cook seat post but thats all i'm changing. you know how it is with Shimano, the low end stuff like those cranks work great. i'll keep those until the black wears off. for now i'll just keep hammering it just the way it is. :cool: :cool:

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Very Nicely done.

You must have friends in high places to get connected with a frame of such high caliber and superior jumpability.

Can't believe how new those deore cranks look ....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lutarious said:
You must have friends in high places to get connected with a frame of such high caliber and superior jumpability.

Can't believe how new those deore cranks look ....
ah, and i have you to thank for this Kawasaki green jumpin machine (JPM). Thanks Lutarious!

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
The bicycle industry thought police should be knocking on your door within 24 hours. Didn't you know it's simply impossable to have fun riding a hardtail? Much less a steel hardtail. ;)

Seriously, thats one sweet bike. I've been thinking about a custom steel hardtail quite a bit lately, and those photos aren't helping any.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Sky... I mean... seriously.. what have you been drinking lately?? ;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jeroen said:
Sky... I mean... seriously.. what have you been drinking lately?? ;)
actually i dont drink. i'm normally this F'ed up. :D

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
saddle

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone else post a picture of that saddle. I've been running 2 of them for a couple years now.

·
Steel is Real!
124 Posts
laffeaux said:
Glad you liked it Vdub! I have to agree with FSP though. I love Bontys but I find that they nose-dive when airborn.

Very cool that you kept your elbows out so that the full-sussers couldn't pass. ;)
Fascinating comment - i just thought it was maybe me. I've always noticed a tendancy to dive - but I put that down to probably being too stretched & low (true 80's rining position :D )

I do like the colour scheme as well - nice one!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.