Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me understand the wheel lines that Bontrager sells?
I understand the whole Select to Race to Race Lite to Race X Lite, etc. going from better to best. But I have also seen some people have the Race or Race Lite Modified Wheels. What is the deal with the Modified Wheels? The Bontrager website doesn't list anything about them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A number of years ago they did some name changes with the wheels. The Race Lite used to be the top end wheelset with rebadged DT Swiss 240 or Chris King hubs. This wheelset is now the Race X-lite. The Race Modified used a rebadged DT Swiss Onyx hub (I think). These are now the Race Lites. The other models have remained relatively unchanged.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
A big difference when you are going from select to race is upgrading to cartidge bearings for the hub versus ball bearings. Race, Race Lite, and Race X Lite use cartidge bearings.

·
Registered
767 Posts
So...

So what are the opinions of the current Race Lites then? Granted not as feathery light as the X LItes, but how do they roll? Service ease? etc.,?

They seem like a pretty nice wheel set and I'm really considering them. For the price they seem pretty good. I may go with a build using Bontrager Mustang 29er rims/Hope P2 hubs, but not sure if the modest weight savings is worth another 100 beans or so.

j

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.