Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bontrager Tubeless Ready rims. Can I use regular tires with sealant or do they have to be tubeless ready tires too? Not surprisingly the Bontrager website instructs to use their TLR tires and sealant. thanks.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
You can use a tire that will fit over the bead hooks . FWIW I am using the Bontys and am extremely happy with them .

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Any tire with sealant has the opportunity to work well, getting some of the looser fitting tires may be more effort than it is worth. A good compressor will help a lot and if you're having trouble, try seating the tire with a tube in it leaving it inflated for a while then carefully deflate the tube. Pop just one side of the bead off and try to inflate it that way. Removing the valve core helps for loose tires too.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ajx said:
Mine came with both the rim strips and the valve stems.
Did the wheels come with the bike or did you buy them direct? As far as I knew, Bonty TLR wheels that came with trek bikes didn't come with rim strips or valve stems. Those had to be purchased separately. Of course, there was a rim strip on the wheels, but not the rim strips required for tubelessness. That may have I changed. If so, then it's about time. My Bonty Dusters that I bought in '09 came with neither the rim strips nor the valve stems. And from what I've read in the Trek forum on this site, that's just the way it works with the whole TLR thing.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes rim strips and valves....

have to purchased seperately. What was happening when the TLRs first came out is most people didn't want the TLR rim strips and valves that the wheels and rims were coming with and tended to resent having to pay extra for something they weren't going to use. So Trek stopped packaging the strips and valves with the wheels or rims. Yes tubeless is popular with those of us that run tubeless. I've got two sets of TLR wheels, a set of Dusters and a set of Mustangs that I built up. Love em both and can't imagine going back to tubes for off road riding. But, the majority of riders out there still haven't gotten on the tubeless band wagon. So rather than charge the extra (believe me you don't get em for free) to a large number of customers that won't use em, Trek quit packaging the strips and vlaves with the wheels/rims. I don't think you're going to see TLR sets and rims coming with all the hardware any time soon. I know it can be frustrating, I had to wait almost 4 weeks for the strips and valves for my Dusters to show up, backordered! But until more people start going tubeless and demand picks up, I don't think you'll see em coming as a package.

And how do I know this you may ask? I work for a Trek dealer, and only about 1 in 4 customers that we have that buy TLR wheels actually want/use the rim strips and valves. In talking with other dealers the percentage is even less in some cases.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Yes rim strips and valves....

have to purchased seperately. What was happening when the TLRs first came out is most people didn't want the TLR rim strips and valves that the wheels and rims were coming with and tended to resent having to pay extra for something they weren't going to use. So Trek stopped packaging the strips and valves with the wheels or rims. Yes tubeless is popular with those of us that run tubeless. I've got two sets of TLR wheels, a set of Dusters and a set of Mustangs that I built up. Love em both and can't imagine going back to tubes for off road riding. But, the majority of riders out there still haven't gotten on the tubeless band wagon. So rather than charge the extra (believe me you don't get em for free) to a large number of customers that won't use em, Trek quit packaging the strips and vlaves with the wheels/rims. I don't think you're going to see TLR sets and rims coming with all the hardware any time soon. I know it can be frustrating, I had to wait almost 4 weeks for the strips and valves for my Dusters to show up, backordered! But until more people start going tubeless and demand picks up, I don't think you'll see em coming as a package.

And how do I know this you may ask? I work for a Trek dealer, and only about 1 in 4 customers that we have that buy TLR wheels actually want/use the rim strips and valves. In talking with other dealers the percentage is even less in some cases.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't mean to mislead anybody. I don't have Bonty wheels, just the rims. The wheels are Cane Creek Zonos Disc, which use Bonty rims. They came with a Bonty instruction sheet even. So, they did come with the rim strips and valve stems. I just haven't used them yet. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
487 Posts
ajx said:
I didn't mean to mislead anybody. I don't have Bonty wheels, just the rims. The wheels are Cane Creek Zonos Disc, which use Bonty rims. They came with a Bonty instruction sheet even. So, they did come with the rim strips and valve stems. I just haven't used them yet. Sorry for the confusion.
You did say "rims," so no bad on your part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.