Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a set of the 2011 style XR4 2.2 experts from my LBS. After one ride I think I may have picked a tire that is too aggressive for my and my riding conditions. It handles well but make the bike handle sluggish and seems hard to pedal when on the flat sections. Has any one here actually used the Bontrager tire guarantee? I did order them from the LBS and it was a closeout from Trek. I do have the receipt and it has been less than 30 days. I am concidering the new XR1. I will most likely give the XR4 one more ride. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The LBS said it was an aggressive tire but did not think it would be like this. I have the PSI at 35 each.

Bontrager: XR1 (Model #09483)

·
Registered
830 Posts
I just called Trek about my XR4 2.35's and they said I can exchange them for the 2.2's which have to be bettter then the 2.35 lol
My bike feels really sluggish with them

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I read the link you posted. I must be just alittle sceptical. I wonder what happens with the returned tires?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can immagine how your 2.35 look on your fuel after seeing what the 2.2's look like.

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
the new bontrager xr4 have noteably less rolling resistance & are nearly as grippy as the original xr4. they're also noteably lighter.

·
Eatin' aint Cheatin'
83 Posts
Trust me on this one. Get the 2012 xr4. Rolls way better and grips amazing.

So I picked up a set of the 2011 style XR4 2.2 experts from my LBS. After one ride I think I may have picked a tire that is too aggressive for my and my riding conditions. It handles well but make the bike handle sluggish and seems hard to pedal when on the flat sections. Has any one here actually used the Bontrager tire guarantee? I did order them from the LBS and it was a closeout from Trek. I do have the receipt and it has been less than 30 days. I am concidering the new XR1. I will most likely give the XR4 one more ride. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. The LBS said it was an aggressive tire but did not think it would be like this. I have the PSI at 35 each.

Bontrager: XR1 (Model #09483)

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you are buying from your LBS, how do you know if it is the newer XR4 or the older ones? Did the packaging change, or the tread design? Just asking, and I haven't researched it yet.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are buying from your LBS, how do you know if it is the newer XR4 or the older ones? Did the packaging change, or the tread design? Just asking, and I haven't researched it yet.
The tread on the 2012 version is more directional looking. The 2012 version is pictured on the Bontrager web site. I bought the 2011 version because it saved me $50 on the pair. Trek is closing out the 2011 XR4 experts for $40 per tire.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you ridden both tires? I am thinking the XR4 is overall a much more aggressive tire than needed here. The XR4 seems to be a high volume tire. I just dont want to turn my fuel into a free ride type bike...like i recently sold.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts