Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My ex8 comes spec'd out with Bontrager xr5 Team issue in a 2.6 front and rear. This is definitely a wider setup than I'd need or prefer, but in the interest of saving some coin I'm looking to just replace the rear tire for now. I've been running nothing but maxxis as of late so I'm not to keen on what bontrager rear tire to pair with the front tire. Ride typical northeast singletrack. Alot of roots, sometimes wet. I'm looking for something in bontragers line similar to a maxxis rekon I guess that maybe even rolls a little better in a 2.3 or 2.4 size. I need grip in the rear but din't want something too draggy. What would you pair it with?

· Registered
668 Posts
Hi I have a recon on my bike and I like it as a rear tire. I would say the XR2 is probably the closest. I dont think they make a 2.4 so if you wanted the 2.4 you might have to go XR3 (more knobs and grip). I have ridden Bonty XR2's and 3's and ride similar conditions. They are a good tire with good bang for the buck. I would say if your running 2.6 in F then run 2.4 in rear

· Registered
109 Posts
SE4 or XR4. SE is the thicker casing, which is nice for a rear tire. I’ve tried the XR3 and it just didn’t have the grip. Much like an Ardent Race. Plus the casing is just too thin. Here’s what happened after a few rides..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
20,162 Posts
XR3 is probably the closest to Rekon as far as weight and tread but still a fairly different tire. XR3 rolls fast and is pretty capable imo but it's relatively fragile (as is the Rekon) I wish they made an XR3 in the SE version.

I'd avoid the XR2 for sure, it's purely a race tire for smoother trails and pretty delicate. XR4 is a good all rounder and reasonably light in 2.4" width. The SE4 is the same but with stronger casing.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
XR3 is probably the closest to Rekon as far as weight and tread but still a fairly different tire. XR3 rolls fast and is pretty capable imo but it's relatively fragile (as is the Rekon) I wish they made an XR3 in the SE version.

I'd avoid the XR2 for sure, it's purely a race tire for smoother trails and pretty delicate. XR4 is a good all rounder and reasonably light in 2.4" width. The SE4 is the same but with stronger casing.
Xr4 in a 2.4 is gonna be lighter than a Rekon it seems like which is a huge plus. Curious how it rolls in comparison. I think the xr4 is gonna be the way for me to go here

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SE4 or XR4. SE is the thicker casing, which is nice for a rear tire. I’ve tried the XR3 and it just didn’t have the grip. Much like an Ardent Race. Plus the casing is just too thin. Here’s what happened after a few rides..

I think I'm gonna pick up an xr4 and hope it rolls at least as well as a rekon. The flat sections make up alot of my rides so rr is huge w me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· viva la v-brakes!
2,467 Posts
Why not just get a Rekon? Its not like you're going to void a warrantee or something running different tire brands.

I have not ridden a Rekon, but from the looks of it, Rekon is kinda in-between XR3 and XR4. I have a XR2 and XR4 on my bikes. I suspect XR4 would be more confidence inspiring when its slick. I usually ride faster tires since we mostly have hardpack around here, so XR4 is slower than I'm used to, but its not miserable or anything. Overall, I really like bontrager tires, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm from WI.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not just get a Rekon? Its not like you're going to void a warrantee or something running different tire brands.

I have not ridden a Rekon, but from the looks of it, Rekon is kinda in-between XR3 and XR4. I have a XR2 and XR4 on my bikes. I suspect XR4 would be more confidence inspiring when its slick. I usually ride faster tires since we mostly have hardpack around here, so XR4 is slower than I'm used to, but its not miserable or anything. Overall, I really like bontrager tires, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm from WI.
In general I'm kinda looking for a reason to change things up from maxxis. I think I've really been over tireing my bikes. The weight savings alone makes me curious on how bontragers will perform. The more research I'm doing has me wanting to try xr4 front xr3 rear. Ill probably be giving up some grip coming from dissector/rekon but I'm looking for more speed. I still need to get up those rooty climbs though

· Registered
3,686 Posts
XR2 makes a good rear tire if you don't scrub sidewalls where you ride.

XR4 is a reasonable all-rounder--good center/side traction, rolls better than the tread blocks would suggest, particularly on the front.

XR3 is somewhere between; it's faster going straight, but has lower tread height than the 2, so ask yourself if you need the traction. The side knobs are pretty much from the XR4.

None of them have any real tread protection, so if you are riding in pointy places, you'll need SE tires.

· Registered
20,162 Posts
XR2 makes a good rear tire if you don't scrub sidewalls where you ride.
I don't know, 2.2 width and paper thin. I guess it depends on where and how you ride but for just about any mtb trail I've been on I'd consider them borderline silly, especially considering the op's bike.

Tires for a 140mm trail bike should be appropriate imo, I'd go with 2.4" xr4 minimum and maybe SE4's depending on how rowdy you want to get.

I do think bontrager mtb tires are good performers and good value.

· Registered
167 Posts
Really don't like Bontrager tires. XR2 came with my Trek, Tested XR1 on back, also bought XR3 for front.

i don't know it's just me but, Bontrager is kind of fail when it's comes to the tires and rubbers

Other than this i have used Schwalbe, Vittoria and Maxxis tires which i can recommend.

· Registered
3,686 Posts
I don't know, 2.2 width and paper thin. I guess it depends on where and how you ride but for just about any mtb trail I've been on I'd consider them borderline silly, especially considering the op's bike.

Tires for a 140mm trail bike should be appropriate imo, I'd go with 2.4" xr4 minimum and maybe SE4's depending on how rowdy you want to get.

I do think bontrager mtb tires are good performers and good value.
They're available (as anything else is right now...) in 2.0, 2.2, 2.35, 2.6, and 3.0. That said, great big knobs on the sides of [rear] tires are pretty much useless in some parts of the country. I know nothing about the OP, other than to think, "XR5s sound like complete overkill. Is that what they're putting on those right now?".

But yeah, The closest they have to a Rekon is the XR4 or SE4, depending on casing type. Rekon rolls a bit faster on hardpack (and is "available" in 2.8), but that's about all it has over the 4s.

· Combat Wombat
1,883 Posts
I am currently running a set of 2.6 Bontrager XR4s on my SS, pretty happy with their climbing traction and despite the rounded and somewhat less aggressive side knob profile, pleasantly surprised at how well I can rail turns with them.

I think on that EX8, an XR or SE4 2.4 would be a good match for the XR5 on the front.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame

· Premium Member
9,024 Posts
If it is at all rocky, I would pick the SE4 over the XR4 for the rear.

· Registered
28 Posts
My Mojo 3 came with 2.6 Nobby Nics front and rear; rear was fine but not enough cornering grip in the front. I switched to 2.4 XR4s front and rear and have been happy. Good climbing/braking/cornering grip and relatively light, a great all around trail riding tire in my opinion. For reference I am also in the northeast, eastern Mass specifically where our trails are paved with roots.

· Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so after a bunch of looking around tonight I ended up ordering a set of Vittoria Syerra's. These seem like they are going to be a fairly light, fast, yet grippy tire. They are marketed as downcountry but the reviews on them from guys who have ridden them seem pretty good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.