Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bontrager SS Owners - what's the magic ratio??

I tried searching archives but came up short. I know that with Bontrager Privateer's set up for single speed, there's a certain ration that eliminates the need for a tensioner if you use an older, stretched chain. I think it was 32:18 but can't quite remember. I'm doing a conversion on my rig and want to purchase the right size rings per others experience on the "magic ratio". Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a place where I could get a 1" threaded suspension fork, that'd be nice (yes... I know that's asking a lot :) The Rock Shox Indy XC currently installed may as well be a rigid fork.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
I found 36 : 18 fitted my girlfriends 1996-ish Bonty Race fine with a new chain....2 years later it could do with a new chain as its a little slack now!

Hope this helps!

Alex

SLinBend said:
I tried searching archives but came up short. I know that with Bontrager Privateer's set up for single speed, there's a certain ration that eliminates the need for a tensioner if you use an older, stretched chain. I think it was 32:18 but can't quite remember. I'm doing a conversion on my rig and want to purchase the right size rings per others experience on the "magic ratio". Any help would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows of a place where I could get a 1" threaded suspension fork, that'd be nice (yes... I know that's asking a lot :) The Rock Shox Indy XC currently installed may as well be a rigid fork.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the ticket... and even better than I thought... straight 2:1 ratio. Thanks Alex.

Singlespeedpunk said:
I found 36 : 18 fitted my girlfriends 1996-ish Bonty Race fine with a new chain....2 years later it could do with a new chain as its a little slack now!

Hope this helps!

Alex

·
Registered
18,807 Posts
SLinBend said:
A friend of mine has an old RockShox RS1 if you're interested.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Medium 98 Privateer..

SLinBend said:

32:16 with a half link; 32:18 without; after that the "rule of four" ;) . That was with a new chain...

1G1G, Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.