Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm possibly looking to buy a new takeoff set of these wheels from a Trek Fuel EX 9.9 but am wondering about the hubs.

It seems for 09 Trek is using Formula hubs on these bikes now instesd of the DT Swiss like previous years bikes. Anyone know anything about these hubs? Reliability issues, POI, sealed cartridge bearings or cup/cone etc...I like the rims but the hubs have me with a big question mark.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called and spoke to Trek tech support about the hubs. Made by Formula to Bonty specs.

Full cartridge bearing hubs. 2 in the hub and 2 in the freewheel. 3 pawls that engage all at the same time with 28 POI he told me.

He said they are really easy to take apart and service as the axle is shouldered and the bearing knock out with nothing blocking them.

Sounds pretty good and worth the chance I think for less than half the original MSRP.

While I have no first hand experience (disclaimer)...I have read of multiple hub flange failures with the 2009 Race X Lite hub. The Rhythm hubs look beefier but I don't know much else.
I'm pretty sure the AM Rhythm Pro's have a stronger hub flange than the Race Light. It notes that in the description on the Bonty web site. Hope it's correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.